What lens to use for stage performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terence said:
The type of lens really depends on your distance from the stage and what sort of shot you're after. I typically use anything from 15mm to 400mm. As mentioned by others, a fast lens, say f2.8 or wider, is highly desirable. And like I said before, leave the strobe at home.

And remember, try to get to the same eye level or slightly higher than the stage. Shots taken at an upwards angle always turn out looking amateurish, imo.

Yeah agree with you, just take a look at my events page on my website, one set was done below the stage (2005 I think) and then 2006 was from eye level, the difference is stunning.

http://www.pbase.com/wildstallion/event

Compare Plugged 2005 to Plugged 2006, also, there are some quite gd WA shots in 2006 IIRC

Never again will I shoot from below the stage (unless I have no other choice)

wildstallion said:
You can shoot wide at a concert, dont be a fool. If you have a decent enough working distance, say more then 10m away then wide angle is perfectly fine, say 18-70!!! It helps to show teh atmosphere as you usually get the crowd in the foreground with stage as the main subject in the background. WA cand lead to some very cool shots. Dont restrict yourself to tele's!
LOL i understood the TS going to have stage access + WA.. imagine you're standing 30cm away from the edge of the stage and you're using a 18-70.. or a 16-35.. I've seen both.. Take a look at some of the coverage of the recent Miss Bikini Singapore if you would.
As mentioned by Terrence, " And remember, try to get to the same eye level or slightly higher than the stage. Shots taken at an upwards angle always turn out looking amateurish, imo."
These shots usually end up like that with WA close to the stage. That's more of what I'm referring to. Sorry for the misunderstanding caused..

As promised... here are the shots

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0664B.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

All were taken the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM at ISO 800, no flash, f/2.8 and AV mode... (too lazy for manual :bsmilie: )

panzerpunk said:
As promised... here are the shots

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0664B.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

All were taken the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM at ISO 800, no flash, f/2.8 and AV mode... (too lazy for manual :bsmilie: )

Nice..ISO800/70-200mm... Hmm.. what was the speed ? no hand shake hor ...

from your lenses line up i think the 80-200 f/2.8 will serve you well...
agree with Terence bout the not using flash thingy...
i think the flash will kill the cool ambient stage light... >__<
the other thing, i think 1/100 sometimes in not enough, especially for "omg i need too move and shake cannot stop one" kind of band... hehe...
anyway here some of mine...

ohbro4s.jpg

cewepokaliss.jpg

panzerpunk said:
Heheh no its IS...

1/125
1/60
1/100

SHOULD still be ok to handhold...

NOOOO. IS... :bsmilie:

check out my pics. taken with a sigma 70-200 f2.8. same event as panzerpunk.

img6414hg9.jpg

img6489qd3.jpg

all the pics were underexposed! my friend (csisfun) was correct to ask me to take in M mode and bring down the shutter speed to get overexposed images. taken with 20D

i starting to get the L disease already. lol.:bsmilie:

Which focal length to use really depends on how near you can get to the performers i guess. I would suggest bringing your 80-200 and something to cover the "standard" range as well. Your 12-24 would probably be too wide unless u are shooting from on the stage itself.

Some of my humble shots (you can see the exif info for each shot via the "photo properties"):

Performance photos mostly with the 70-200 F2.8L IS and 135 F2L
http://www.sgl.per.sg/users/denosha/gallery/yuliaUCC

Performance photos mostly with the 70-200 F2.8L IS and 35 F1.4L
http://www.sgl.per.sg/users/denosha/gallery/nusws06?page=2

panzerpunk said:
Heheh no its IS...

1/125
1/60
1/100

SHOULD still be ok to handhold...

u got steady hand, for me at 200mm, at least 1/250. hehe...

archlover said:
from your lenses line up i think the 80-200 f/2.8 will serve you well...
agree with Terence bout the not using flash thingy...
i think the flash will kill the cool ambient stage light... >__<
the other thing, i think 1/100 sometimes in not enough, especially for "omg i need too move and shake cannot stop one" kind of band... hehe...
anyway here some of mine...

cewepokaliss.jpg

I like the color tone of tis pic... the hair in particular :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.