What kind of money are we looking at if want to go MF?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
dont really know but i do love the amount of detail captured.

if film will be hundreds to thousands. if digital will be ten thousands and beyond.

just take a look at the B&S forum to get a clue.

1 roll of mf film = $6
development = $6
scan = $12

Average cost per shot = $24/12 = $2

I made this calculation based on Hasselblad so 12 frames of 6x6.

Last edited:
To add, to also depends on your equipment.

Get a Holga 120 and it will set you back just over a hundred. It uses 120 film and therefore qualifies as an MF camera.
Get a Bronica SQ or a Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD (there are a few shops selling them in Excelsior Shopping Center) body with one lens and one back and it should set you back a couple of hundred. The Bronica shoots 6x6, the RB67 shoots 6x7 (unless you get a 6x6 back, which is pretty rare)
An RZ67 with lens and back should set you back around $1k
A Hasselblad 500CM body, 120 back, and a 120/4 Makro should set you back around $1.8k. This shoots in 6x6 format

Last week, I saw a Hasselblad H2 with digital back and lens going for just $8500 before bargaining at Benphoto in Excelsior Shopping Center.

The good thing about MF is that high-quality lenses are not insanely expensive, at least not when comparing with Nikon/Canon lenses :p

details come with a PRICE. Start off with the Seagull, build the skills then upgrade.

Seng Cheong ~S$230 (July 2011)
Film ~$8
Develop scan ~$18

Do shoot a roll of slides and convince yourself first.
Seagull 4B-1 was used by many UK landscape photographer producing slides that cannot tell from many big names.

I shoot 4B-1 to Rolleicord to Rolleiflex 3.5E.

I still consider the Bronica, Hasselblad or Mamiya for studio work or for professionals. Advanced hobbyist otherwise.
Many user cannot handle the mirror slap or weight.

Last edited:
In all fairness, the RZ67 Pro is around the same weight as a 4B-1, no?

How can that be? Even C220 without lens is heavier than the 4B-1.

The 4B-1 is less than 2lbs, or less than 1kg with all accessories attached.
The RB67 if I remember correctly was more than 6 lbs plus with a lens and magazine.

Correction the new model is only S$230 inclusive GST. This is not even enough for me to buy a Beattie screen.

The 4B-1 is a copy and simplified version of the Rolleicord. The Cooke Triplet taking lens is not that bad.
For hobbyist this is more than good enough. Don't have to spend so much money.

Also, perhaps I don't have steady hands, my pictures with Hasselblad 501 must be above 1/125.
But my pictures with 4B-1 or Rolleiflex leaf shuttle type can go down to 1/30 without tripod.
Camera shake will be a serious problem affecting a lot of people.

( the picture shows a China 4B-1 I modified. The taking lens is a Tessar 75mm F3.5, the body was reworked with new leather. spent around S$250).

Last edited:
Talk about Zenza Bronica, can we still find the SQ A and SQ B? I have not seen them for a really long while.

all road to MF leads to rolleiflex/hassy:bsmilie:

you can consider a hassy 500c/m 80mm f2.8 planar for around 1.4k? or a rolleicord for $400plus. rolleiflexes are more expensive but a joy to use :D

imho, get the seagull. no horse run

Last edited:
I still consider the Bronica, Hasselblad or Mamiya for studio work or for professionals. Advanced hobbyist otherwise.
Many user cannot handle the mirror slap or weight.

Who says Hassys is considered for the studios? I think all cameras can be used anywhere, provided you keep to the correct workflow.
During the last HCSP walk, Royal with Cheese managed to take some cool street shots with it. I believe it is still a flexible camera for most things.
Mamiyas are also known to be used by landscape photographers. So I doubt these cameras are not only used for studios. Unless you want to confine to that thinking. ;)

By the time you reach my age you will know what I mean. ;)
I could had brought my Hassy but I think my camera shake and stamina would made me give up by the first stop point.

See my picture posted side by side with the Hassy, if I had had it scanned at higher res and don't say, not many can tell the diff.

I have seen landscape photographers in US having two assistants and also whole truck load of support equipment. They can bring any thing. ;)
For me, I leave all my Fuji, Hassy, Rolleiflexs, Rollei etc at home. Forced march with you guys carrying 5-6kg of gear is not fun, its TORTURE.

Anyway, here is a tranny scan to show how good a Seagull is:

No horse run.

By the time you reach my age you will know what I mean. ;)
I could had brought my Hassy but I think my camera shake and stamina would made me give up by the first stop point.

See my picture posted side by side with the Hassy, if I had had it scanned at higher res and don't say, not many can tell the diff.

I have seen landscape photographers in US having two assistants and also whole truck load of support equipment. They can bring any thing. ;)
For me, I leave all my Fuji, Hassy, Rolleiflexs, Rollei etc at home. Forced march with you guys carrying 5-6kg of gear is not fun, its TORTURE.

Anyway, here is a tranny scan to show how good a Seagull is:

No horse run.

Agree it is torture :) No doubt. But with DSLR, Tripods and TLR that day bro,... would it not be as equally as back breaking? :sweat:
For me, if I take the Hassy out, it will be one cam, one lens, and a few rolls of film. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course just a film compact in the hand for walks is still the best.

How can that be? Even C220 without lens is heavier than the 4B-1.

The 4B-1 is less than 2lbs, or less than 1kg with all accessories attached.
The RB67 if I remember correctly was more than 6 lbs plus with a lens and magazine.

I was referring to the RZ67. I have an RB67 as well, and I swear that thing is built to withstand the next Ice Age :p

Will have to check out the Seagull. Where can I find a good copy in Singapore?

Agree it is torture :) No doubt. But with DSLR, Tripods and TLR that day bro,... would it not be as equally as back breaking? :sweat:
For me, if I take the Hassy out, it will be one cam, one lens, and a few rolls of film. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course just a film

D60+85mm 1.8, Seagull and titanium tripod is an optical illusion. They add up to nothing.

I have problem with the Hassy. 1/125 is the lowest I can handle.
Also, you saw me, I sweat like a pig. In just minutes the view finder will turn into a swimming pool.

I rather the Seagull become swimming pool than the Hassy with Beatie soak in salty sweat.

I envy you guys, and I remember my younger days. Enjoy your youth ;)

Last edited:
Just saw one for sale in the BNS :)

I sold my system away in 2001. I bought mine in Hong Kong and only had it for 3 months.
Thinking back, I should had used the money to buy Apple shares. :cry:

Seng Cheong has about 30 over new Seagull 4B-1 left. Its the new export model as in Adorama.
You can shoot 645 or 6X6 using the 4B-1. Its a fun cute camera great for trekking.
Seagull factory has stopped production (closed shop!), so get it while still can.
http://www.adorama.com/ZZS104.html

Check before you commit. Bring a torch light and shine into the lenses to confirm they are clean and bright.
Most of them are ok, just to make sure.

As the thread starter asked, HOW MUCH TO START MF? I say, start with the 4B-1 for S$230.
Money these days are getting smaller, especially living in SINGAPORE.

Last edited:
Over a hundred for a Holga 120??????? Dude!!! You got ripped off royally!!!!
A Holga 120 is less than 30 USD shipped!!! You can get them from ebay no problem. Of course, if you buy the Lomo Holga you are asking to be ripped off because you pay a bunch for that Lomo sticker. Lomo is just a distributor.

So MF entry price is about 40USD. Cam, film and developing.
I don't know if I'm allowed to link to the Ebay store that I bought it from so PM me if you want to know. The guy has a top seller rating. No, it is not my store nor do I know the person running and I do not get commission. I am recommending as a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip - will definitely check them out when I'm back in Singapore! Just need to make sure that this has 海鸥 instead of 'Seagull'

I sold my system away in 2001. I bought mine in Hong Kong and only had it for 3 months.
Thinking back, I should had used the money to buy Apple shares. :cry:

Seng Cheong has about 30 over new Seagull 4B-1 left. Its the new export model as in Adorama.
You can shoot 645 or 6X6 using the 4B-1. Its a fun cute camera great for trekking.
Seagull factory has stopped production (closed shop!), so get it while still can.
http://www.adorama.com/ZZS104.html

Check before you commit. Bring a torch light and shine into the lenses to confirm they are clean and bright.
Most of them are ok, just to make sure.

As the thread starter asked, HOW MUCH TO START MF? I say, start with the 4B-1 for S$230.
Money these days are getting smaller, especially living in SINGAPORE.