What is the use of the battery grip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batt Grip to:

* Allow a better grip for some cameras, specially for those who have bigger hands
* Avoid Chicken Wing pose syndrome when shooting portrait.
* More juice. Batt grips allow 2 batts to be loaded. Also allows for some flexibility by taking in AA batteries.
* Makes you look like a pro; To show off; Extra weight helps in case you want to bash somebody with your cam

:Later,

Thanks bro, good tips. :thumbsup: Will learn as the days go by using it more often for different shootings. Lazy to read up on all specs or website. Prefer direct hand-on, learn faster that way and understanding better too. Must play a lots with it before can know its in and out well. :)

Without basic knowledge it's just tinkering and you'll miss great moments cause you don't know how to capture them. Learning by doing works to a certain extend only, some basic knowledge is needed as foundation. Do yourself a favour and get some good books (e.g. from library) and read up there. Photography makes more fun if you control the camera and understand the light instead of waiting for luck.

Well, I think it's actually true.

Women practically throw themselves at me whenever I hold my DSLR with batt.grip. Without it, I'm worthless, hopeless.

;p
haven't own a grip yet. need to get one ASAP:bsmilie:

I don't currently own a battery grip.. but actually am gg to get one from a fellow Clubsnap member later in the afternoon ;)

to me, i get the battery grip for the below 4 reasons in order to importance ..

1) To eliminate the awkward and unstable stance for portrait taking
2) An alternative energy source option (AA Batt)
3) A more stable platform when using my longer zoom lens
4) More pro looking; if not lose out to the other big fellows ;p

and happy pre cny!

Last edited:
Simply put, it literally gives you the power to shoot more, and allows you to shoot portrait-style images more effectively. The Battery Grip is an excellent add-on to your camera...

and a word of caution: [I]Once you screwed it on, you will never take it off again.[/I];p

Gong Xi Fa Cai !!:cheergal:

and a word of caution: Once you screwed it on, you will never take it off again.;p

Tell me about it... I gaffered it on liao... not removing liao... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

to train yr muscle..;)

Got lots of different responses about the battery grip until I saw and tested one today at my friend's house. Now, I know what is the actual use of it. Will consider getting it later to supplement my camera to boost power for shooting. Thanks for all your feedbacks. :thumbsup::)

I got 2 grips. One with built in battery equivalent to 2 batteries capacity. Got car charger some more, 3rd party brand, cost about 3 times cheaper than buying original with 2 batteries.

Just keep READING
SHOOTING
and ask only if you can't find any answers on the net and forum...

I am a Newbie, and I hope to speak on behalf of some of us who ask 'Simple questions' here.

I Agree on the keep Reading and Shooting part.

I hope to get understanding from Seniors here, however, on the 'finding answers' part. Most of the time it's not that we newbies can't find information on the net and forum, but that there's TOO MUCH information on the net. Most of the time it's somehow only indirectly relevant to the query and sometimes downright confusing. :eek::confused:

Therefore, when we ask questions here, we also hope that the seniors (in photography) can give some pointers, be it one or two liners, or point us to a relevant website.

Most of all, we Newbies hope the seniors can be patient with our 'Simple (or even an occassional 'Stupid' questions'. :sweat:

And we thank you all who have spent your time and effort on helping us all these while. Hopefully one day, we can also pass on the knowledge to someone who joins the hobby later than us. ;)

(BTW, I still dunno what a 'battery grip' looks like.):sweat:

(BTW, I still dunno what a 'battery grip' looks like.):sweat:

the reason why most "seniors" here will tell you that:

2098172458_020b6a9ca8_o.jpg

is not because they are too high on their horses and have nothing better to do than to laugh at newbies. it is precisely because it is true, and there is nothing more enjoyable than discovering a hobby for yourself. it makes the journey so much sweeter.. so much more exciting, and so much more worthwhile, when you reach some semblance of a realisation or end, though there is no end ever.

before you ask a question, read up; there is no decent school in this world that spoonfeeds really, at least not beyond a certain stage like primary school.

if you had typed "battery grip" into image google, it would turn up 8000 pictures and more of battery grips like this one (the first result) so that you will immediately know in 2 seconds what a battery grip looks like:

grip%2040D.jpg

this is but one example, different cameras have different battery grips, etc.

even wikipedia has an article on battery grip here; i quote:

A battery grip is an accessory for an SLR/DSLR (and occasionally other cameras), which allows the the camera to hold multiple batteries to extend the battery life of the camera, and adds a vertical grip with an extra shutter release (and other controls), facilitating the shooting of portrait photography.[1]

It usually attaches to the camera body through the cameras own battery compartment and provides a cassette to hold additional batteries to increase the battery life for the camera. Most battery grips also come with a second cassette allowing the photographer to shoot using multiple AA batteries.

Battery grips are usually designed to fit only one or a few specific camera models, since they must match the body's shape, connectors, and power requirements.

have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.