What is the difference between a Standard Zoom, Telephoto Zoom and a Ultra-wide Zoom?

ShawnKohJyhShen

Jun 22, 2010
Sengkang
What is the difference between a Standard Zoom, Telephoto Zoom and a Ultra-wide Zoom?

Not sure if there's a standard definition, but here's my attempt at one...

Standard zoom: a zoom lens that ranges from moderate wide-angle (24mm or 28mm) through the "normal" angles (35, 45, 50, 55, 60mm) into the short telephoto (75, 85, 105mm)
Telephoto zoom: a zoom lens that begins from short tele (70, 75mm) through to the telephoto range (200, 300mm)
Ultra-wide zoom: a zoom lens that begins and ends in the UWA range (8, 10, 12mm to 16, 20, 24mm)

However, is there a need to know what kind of lens? Just know the focal length range can already right?

Not sure if there's a standard definition, but here's my attempt at one...

Standard zoom: a zoom lens that ranges from moderate wide-angle (24mm or 28mm) through the "normal" angles (35, 45, 50, 55, 60mm) into the short telephoto (75, 85, 105mm)
Telephoto zoom: a zoom lens that begins from short tele (70, 75mm) through to the telephoto range (200, 300mm)
Ultra-wide zoom: a zoom lens that begins and ends in the UWA range (8, 10, 12mm to 16, 20, 24mm)

However, is there a need to know what kind of lens? Just know the focal length range can already right?
you're quite right, but there are some exceptions, notably to your definition of "telephoto zoom"... it need not necessarily begin at short tele range...
150-500mm is also a telephoto zoom, and so is 200-400mm.

in "35mm-speak"

14-------------28----------35-----------50---------85-----100-------
-ultra-wide-----wide------------------normal----telephoto--------->

note: these are not exact numbers... doesn't mean that <28mm = wide and >28mm=normal, but just an approximation

Last edited:
Thanks guys

so if i want a lens that can zoom in the most and capture things in the distant upclose, I should get a Telephoto zoom lens? am i rite?

Thanks guys

so if i want a lens that can zoom in the most and capture things in the distant upclose, I should get a Telephoto zoom lens? am i rite?
try not to use terms like 'zoom in the most', coz it's confusing.

If you want to see distant objects up close, you need a lens with a large focal length. They are known as telephoto lenses. If the lens can zoom as well (can change focal length), then it's a telephoto ZOOM lens. If it's fixed focal length (eg. 300mm), it's a telephoto prime lens.

haha pardon me for my noobish terms and confusions
thanks once again for all the info
much appriciated