What is shutter count

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxIIS

Jun 22, 2006
sengkeng
i have been to the market place thread to find a new dslr camera but keep seeing this shutter count what is "shutter count" mean.

its just the number of shots taken by the camera over time...

usually people ask for the shutter count because a shutter has a limited life cycle... for eg, the canon 30D has a shutter life of about 100000 shots.. so after the camera has taken 100k shots, the shutter may start to slow down or not work properly... this shutter can be replaced by the respective service centres, but costs money...

so if u buy a second hand camera that has only a few thousand shots, chances are it's a good buy coz the shutter will last for a long while more...

so how u check the shuttle count in the cam?

so how u check the shuttle count in the cam?

SHUTTER count, not shuttle count.
usually this info is embedded into the EXIF data of an image shot from the camera.

it will be reset once it reach the max naming convention right? i only know my g2 name the image up till 9999, restart when to 0001 when i go over it. so i am keeping track myself how many times the shutter is being reset.

I think there's a software that will give you the image no. (which translates into the shutter count) of your latest poto taken. Even if you have re-set your counter, the numbers will still continue to run.

An analogy that I can think of is the mileage of a car. You can re-set the "trip" mileage, but not the overall mileage counter. So the software works on that principle as well. Can''t remember where to get hold of this software... Anyone out there can help?:dunno:

some cameras will return back to 0001 once it reaches the max (rollover) and this cannot be traced since the EXIF will simply show 0001 as if it's a new camera! Also, I think if someone update/reflash his firmware, these information will be gone too. Another reason why it is almost pointless to use the shutter count as a gauge when buying a used camera body :sweat:

some cameras will return back to 0001 once it reaches the max (rollover) and this cannot be traced since the EXIF will simply show 0001 as if it's a new camera! Also, I think if someone update/reflash his firmware, these information will be gone too. Another reason why it is almost pointless to use the shutter count as a gauge when buying a used camera body :sweat:

The camera body does reset the count. But the Exif still shows the correct data. FYI, my camera has gone thru 13095 shots so far... and though the image number is currently at 3037, the Exif will state the correct number of times, the shutter has tripped. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.