What is important in B&W photo...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... I've taken colour photo most of my life. And is now trying Black & White (B&W) photographary.

But like any newbie.... have very little understanding on the subject. Could any one here give me some pointer as in what should I look out for in B&W photographary. Thxs :D

Suggest you start at Luminous Landscape.

Hi.... I've taken colour photo most of my life. And is now trying Black & White (B&W) photographary.

But like any newbie.... have very little understanding on the subject. Could any one here give me some pointer as in what should I look out for in B&W photographary. Thxs :D

mainly contrast....its how u point out ur subject in contrast...it is not an easy topic to master but once u master it..u learn a lot of thing.

kim

Thxs for the reply so far.....

Must admit I cheated a bit. Till today, I just greyscale my colour photo in Lightroom. Is it.... Err... wrong to do so ?? :embrass:

Must admit I cheated a bit. Till today, I just greyscale my colour photo in Lightroom. Is it.... Err... wrong to do so ?? :embrass:

What makes you think that is cheating ?

Ryan

Bro, there was a discussion on this not long ago. Check here.

Alot of insights as well as links to tutorials on more detailed monochrome conversion. Not the usual desaturate function in Photoshop. :)

there are only many, many ways to convert colour in b&w..

what is important is what YOU WANT OUT OF THE PICTURE

if you convert already, and it is WHAT YOU WANT, then it is a good b&w picture, an added bonus is when people look at the picture and they can tell what YOU WANTED TO SHOW.

as to what a good b&w picture is, sorry there is no checklist. the removal of colour can be used to do many things, be it express a mood, isolation and highlighting of something.. and the list doesn't end there.

Status
Not open for further replies.