What filter(s) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, circular polarizer, cir-pol, cpl is the same. Make sure you buy Circular and not Linear Polarizer, as the Linear will not work well with the SLR/dSLR camera's light meter (IIRC).

Regards,
Arto.
Actually not so much of the meter nowadays. They seldom put metering cells below the mirror box anymore. It's the AF that linear pol will affect.

how shld a CPL be used?
Do i just secure it to the lens and voila~?
I mean other than knowing where to point (not directly at sun)... what else?

Thanks all oldbie for ur advices ... :sweat:

I just got myself a Kenko Pro1D CPL yesterday...
Finally, a slim PL for my ultra wide 10-22..
I stacked it with my B+W MRC F-Pro together with the EW-83E hood and it vignette at 10mm. By 11mm, it's hardly noticeable or gone. Sorry OOT here... just to provide info to the ultra wide owners...

To answer the question:
The CPL is actually a filter than screws / mount in front of your lens. You should try shooting as much as possible 90 deg from the sun. 180 deg (sun behind you) has virtually no effect except removing glare from water, glass, etc...

Rather than how it should be used, here's some tips on how and when it shouldn't be used:
1. When photomerging is required.
2. Night shots (Slows your speed even more)
3. Sunset, sunrise (my take on this, as I prefer natural colours during these periods)

Of course there is more to this list, but that's the main ones I can think of for now...

Actually not so much of the meter nowadays. They seldom put metering cells below the mirror box anymore. It's the AF that linear pol will affect.
Thanks for correction :thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

how shld a CPL be used?
Do i just secure it to the lens and voila~?
I mean other than knowing where to point (not directly at sun)... what else?

Thanks all oldbie for ur advices ... :sweat:
Try it yourself. You can see the effect directly on viewfinder. Turn the CPL until you can see white reflection on leaf disappear.

I found in cloudy day, CPL is useless. It is best when the sun is shiny and less cloud.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.