what do you use to clean your filters?

How do you clean your filters

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use the lint free cleaning paper from ruby. Quite cheap, like $2 for 30 pieces... really useful for outfield, as your cleaning cloth might get dirty and dusty after some time

isopropyl alcohol when marks are hard to remove or else it's my microfibre cloth + bad breath

Sorry to bring back this thread.

May I ask, how to clean Circular Polariser? Anyone know how to open up the 2 pc of glassware?

Thanks.

huh. i use lens cleaning solution + microfibre. can or not? lol.

use leftover spectacles cloth

How come cannot use spectacle cleaners? Should be the same right?

madmacs said:
so far ok. coating intact. just dun spray glass or spectacles cleaners.

jeryltan said:
How come cannot use spectacle cleaners? Should be the same right?

perhaps the spectacle cleaners might have dust from cleaning up of your spectacles? :confused:

clean filters? watever shirt i'm wearing lor.. haha.

volk said:
Sorry to bring back this thread.

May I ask, how to clean Circular Polariser? Anyone know how to open up the 2 pc of glassware?

Thanks.

I use microfiber cloth, cleaning solution and lens cleaning paper to clean my tokina and hoya filters. Don't encounter any problems, though???

I don't think you need to open up to clean the inside of the CP. I just clean the outside, and that seems enough for me.

idor said:
anyone uses dishwashing detergent + water?
My dad used to do that. Then for Hoya filters, the coating will come off after a while.

Wai said:
i use my T-shirt for my B+W MRC and Hoya HMC

no a single scratch on the filter after so many years!!

yeah i voted for the soap water version cos dun have the tshirt option.
I would make sure the corner of my tshirt doesn't have dust that can scratch it and use it on my uncoated filters.
glass is quite hard no worries..
actually coatings are quite wear proof nowadays as well. (proof: look at our specs)
so I believe that its fine to use any soft cloth. I jus blow away the lint with a blower.
erm but of cos if its lens I will feel heart pain to use tshirt, so its lens pen..

Is isopropyl alcohol safe for Hoya UV filters? I scared the coating might come off. I tried before and you can see smudges of white lines on the glass after wiping. Still need to wipe with dry fiber cloth.

Questions for all:

1. Often the white streaks will be evident at the outer glass near to the rim, do you bother to clean it? I think that part of the glass wont be seen by the camera right?

2. Does iso alcohol leave that white streaks or is it grease?

3. Lens tissue paper safe or not? Or is fiber cloth gentler?

4. It seems impossible to remove all traces of dust. When you are done and you shine a torch light on it, still have a few evident dust. Has anyone managed to clean their filters until totally no dust and smudge?

Status
Not open for further replies.