What do you make of this article?

Bamboopictures

SINGAPORE - Young freelancers in the creative industries - one of the fastest-growing groups of freelancers today - may face challenges such as not knowing how to protect their intellectual property rights, or work with clients in a professional environment.

To address this issue, a new pilot programme that allows them to be attached to a company for up to six months to work on projects and undergo training by an appointed mentor was unveiled on Wednesday (June 29).

Called the Attach and Train Programme (ATP), the scheme, which is led by the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA), the National Trades Union Congress and the Employment and Employability Institute (e2i), is targeting 20 freelancers over the next two years. Positions that are available include assistant directors, assistant producers and graphic designers.

The Association of Independent Producers Singapore (Aipro) is the appointed programme manager and will screen and match suitable candidates to a participating host company based on job fit.

Among other criteria, candidates must have graduated from their highest qualification for not more than two years before being hired by the company. The participating company must also assign a mentor to develop the freelancer, and send a representative to attend a WDA-approved workshop for mentors.

Mr Jackson Tan, the creative director of a branding and design agency Black, one of the participating companies in ATP, said that such a scheme could also improve the prospects of the industry.

"Junior freelancers might put themselves in a disadvantaged position or practice in a way that might actually cause harm to the industry, such as the rates they charge and the way they conduct themselves. It is always good to get them exposed to the professional environment," he noted.

For more details and for applications, contact Aipro at enquiries@aipro.tv

Last edited:
i was at the seminar where this was promoted

interestingly, there seems to be an increasing amount of effort put in to find/train/coordinate freelancers

on one hand, i think the ATP program could be really useful for some young people (fresh grads) -- i guess it's somewhat like an "industrial attachment" system in school

on the other hand, if a creative freelancer couldn't figure out where/how to submit applications for attachments by themselves, then they might not be serious/sincere enough to continue in the trade

Unnecessary initiative. I hope it's not from tax payer's money!

I think it's still a good innitiative though, as it aims to also educate junior freelancers on setting their prices right so they don't spoil market. The market now is such that video-making costs are so low that you can't get your basic set-up right. I'm seeing more and more 3-digit jobs that require a cast and crew. How lyddat?