What CPL ring size to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT 3833

Sep 23, 2006
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a CPL. Question is, since I have a few lens with different ring size, should I get the largest ring size and use step down adapter for smaller ring size, or one CPL for each lens size?

Of course, with the understanding that i probably will use CPL on a selected few lenses; not all of them.

Buy the largest common size for your lenses that you used often... the price of the CPL increases with size and no point buying a very big one which is not used often... I guess most users would get the 77mm ones for their pro lenses.

Thanks for your advice. So assuming to buy a 77mm(for 17-55mm), if I need to use the CPL on another lens with a 72mm ring, I use a step down ring?

Thankis Azure,
could you elaborate slightly more?

I am more conscious when I shoot these days by controlling the WB, adequeate exposure etc, and avoiding scenes with too drastic different in contrast. And I tend to depending more on the camera highlight(over expose) function and historgram to ensure more adequate exposure. are these measure sufficient? or you are referring to something else?

Thanks.

Thankis Azure,

I am more conscious when I shoot these days by controlling the WB, adequeate exposure etc, and avoiding scenes with too drastic different in contrast. And I tend to depending more on the camera highlight(over expose) function and historgram to ensure more adequate exposure. are these measure sufficient? or you are referring to something else?

Thanks.

What he means is, you'd get lazy and tend to use it less over time... ;)

Haha, Thanks Michael,
If he really meant that, then I do agree.

OT here, saw your flikr site, very nice pictures of various shoot you have.

I carry a 77mm and a 52mm CPL for the extremes
In betw i carry step ups that are fixed to my 67 / 72 mm lenses with 77mm caps so it is abit more convenient when i go travelling.

Ryan

Haha, Thanks Michael,
If he really meant that, then I do agree.

OT here, saw your flikr site, very nice pictures of various shoot you have.

Thanks, still learning and practising. ;)

I carry a 77mm and a 52mm CPL for the extremes
In betw i carry step ups that are fixed to my 67 / 72 mm lenses with 77mm caps so it is abit more convenient when i go travelling.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan,
I will likely be getting the 77mm and just make do with step down for smaller ring size lenses.

Thankis Azure,

Thanks.

The measures that you have applied are good. And if you look closely, a CPL will have less and less use as you go along..... other than cutting off some reflections (I say "some" as there are many new CSers who think that a CPL can cut everything).

If your intent is to get a balanced exposure, sensible HDR or a graduated ND will be more appropriate.

If you intent is to deepen the colours or just darken the very bright exposure (thanks to the sunny days), then a CPL may not necessarily be the only means. Think about the measures you've listed. Some of them can do the job just as well.

Getting lazy? Are you? No offence to CT 3833, but there are many jokers who'd just as quickly ask for a magic formula setting. That is why I do not spoonfeed.

Actually you might want to consider whether you're going to use a hood.

I was doing my own research whether to get a bigger diameter and someone mentioned that you won't be able to use the hood if you use a larger filter diameter.

I haven't bought one yet so I'm not sure whether if it's true.

Actually you might want to consider whether you're going to use a hood.

I was doing my own research whether to get a bigger diameter and someone mentioned that you won't be able to use the hood if you use a larger filter diameter.

Thanks for your feedback. As I hardly use hood, so I would think chances of me using both hood and CPL together would be low. And even in some rare occasions during which I need to use both, I would go without the hood.

The measures that you have applied are good. And if you look closely, a CPL will have less and less use as you go along..... other than cutting off some reflections (I say "some" as there are many new CSers who think that a CPL can cut everything).

If your intent is to get a balanced exposure, sensible HDR or a graduated ND will be more appropriate.

If you intent is to deepen the colours or just darken the very bright exposure (thanks to the sunny days), then a CPL may not necessarily be the only means. Think about the measures you've listed. Some of them can do the job just as well.

Getting lazy? Are you? No offence to CT 3833, but there are many jokers who'd just as quickly ask for a magic formula setting. That is why I do not spoonfeed.

Actually I was thinking of getting both GND and CPL. Your comment makes me think more carefully now whether if I really need a CPL and how often I would REALLY need it.

I should do more home work to read up on GND first and shalve the idea of CPL for the time being.

Thanks for your valuable input Azure.

Status
Not open for further replies.