What could have been

rcyrulez

Apr 29, 2011
jewel_within_by_rcyrulez-d45lssd.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
General composition and aesthetics, relevance to the title

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Set the viewer thinking about what the flower could have yielded had it not been blown off the tree by the wind. Perhaps a beautiful flower? A fruit? A new plant?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Snapped along the walkway at MacRitchie reservoir, camera held 30cm off ground level. Manual focus on the carpel. Cropped photo such that the subject fills the frame

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like the composition and colours in relation to the theme

Any feedback? :)

too abstract, me no talent

was this the best way to show what u wanted to show?

or do u think there was a better way to show it

I can't figure out what I'm looking at. If you very strongly wanted to show 'dead flower', then make it clear that's what it is- make everything in focus. If you wanted it to be an exploration of colours, then make the colours more prominent. I can also see a LOT of texture here, and there seems a lot of potential to study that if you wanted to.

But that's making things abstract and getting away from 'what it represents' to 'what it looks like', which is an entirely different aim from what you've said...

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Set the viewer thinking about what the flower could have yielded had it not been blown off the tree by the wind. Perhaps a beautiful flower? A fruit? A new plant?

I don't think most of us can recognize what exactly it is and hence all thought processes revolves around this point instead of going any further.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Snapped along the walkway at MacRitchie reservoir, camera held 30cm off ground level. Manual focus on the carpel. Cropped photo such that the subject fills the frame

The ground don't look like ground to me. Was expecting soil, sand, bitumen, concrete, etc... My first impression was that this is actually indoors. And it's easier to associate flowers with outdoors than when getting the impression its indoors.

My question would be: Did you purposely pick this particular flower at this location (any deliberate planning) or did you just see and shot it where it is?
:)

Last edited: