What causes dead pixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
Hi! (I did try searching this, but didn't find the answer here).
I would like to know what causes dead pixels on the LCD of my cameras.
I know that it does not affect the pictures that are taken, but is annoying as it just stays there and doesn't change when I go through my photographs.

I just got my 300D back from repair (for replacing the pin that holds the mirror), happy that it's repaired but not very happy to find about 3 pixels on the LCD that do not change, they just stay there.
Same with my 30D, I found a dead pixel on the LCD, it's only one, and the screen is quite big so it's not *that* much of an issue.

So, I would like to know, what is the causes of these? So that I can avoiding doing whatever so that they do not come up again,

Hi,

Hi! (I did try searching this, but didn't find the answer here).
I would like to know what causes dead pixels on the LCD of my cameras.
I know that it does not affect the pictures that are taken, but is annoying as it just stays there and doesn't change when I go through my photographs.

I just got my 300D back from repair (for replacing the pin that holds the mirror), happy that it's repaired but not very happy to find about 3 pixels on the LCD that do not change, they just stay there.
Same with my 30D, I found a dead pixel on the LCD, it's only one, and the screen is quite big so it's not *that* much of an issue.

So, I would like to know, what is the causes of these? So that I can avoiding doing whatever so that they do not come up again,

If I'm not mistaken, it is usually a natural phenomenon of the LCD technology today. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_pixel (and correspondingly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel for sensor dead pixels) for starters...

Death pixel is a matter of luck. If you lucky, you will not get the death pixel LCD. If you are not lucky, first time turn on device and you will see it. Usually death pixel will not growth or suddenly appear, but it doesn't mean it can not. Death pixel may appear if the LCD got strong vibration (drop it), electrical faulty, expose to heat for long time, but most of time is fabrication defect (usually the manufacturer will put aside death pixel LCD).

With the improvement on fabrication technology, the ratio of death pixel LCD is decrease.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.