What can this budget fetch for 2nd DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks android17,
I was reading up the D3000 user thread, when I realised post #34 mentioning no live view. So turned off...

Looks like back to the drawingboard... Really thanks.

Live view is not a must, really. With DSLR I always shoot with the viewfinder. That's what DSLR is about.

Bracketing: Nikon D3000 No : Sony A330 Yes
Its a great function for beginners. Unlike pros who can determind exposure correctly most of the time (but not always, sometimes they use bracketing too), beginners are very poor in judging exposure. As such the exposure bracketing will be a godsend function when they are in doubt of the correct exposure to use. D3000 lacks this function. A330 has it.

Nikon always gets the exposure right. :bsmilie:

Just kidding!

Live view is not a must, really. With DSLR I always shoot with the viewfinder. That's what DSLR is about.

I guess it's a matter of getting used to. I cannot imagine myself looking at viewfinder all the time, perhaps cause I'm not used to.

Anyway lucky Android kind enough to highlight D3000 not having live view. I went through the specs and don't remember it saying not having live view.

Just wondering how hard I'll be kicked if I ask shop to let me try all the cameras :bsmilie:

live view (especially one which has a tiltable LCD) is very useful in certain situations. Cut and paste from another thread which i posted:

. but live view - is just useless(except in times when u give other newbie to shoot).

Take a look at these guys taking photos, thru the view finder

10622836.jpg

40070398.jpg

Few weeks ago in Orchard Road, I saw a female tourist doing the same thing, lying on the floor and taking ground shots. Imagine the number of eyes looking at her. Now, a Sony Alpha DSLR user taking ground shots wont be doing such silly poses. They would just squat down, on live view, tilt the LCD and compose the shots. No need to lie on the floor and using the view finder. So unglam, especially for a girl!

Now the below 2 pictures are taken 2 weeks ago during the 瑶瑶 "爱的抱抱" fan session. 瑶瑶 was standing on a stage, and below the stage there was a sizable crowd.

64725745.jpg

I caught this Canon user trying his best to take pictures. However there's a crowd in front of him, so when he compose thru his viewfinder, there will be alot of heads blocking his view. I can see him keep moving here and there, trying to compose his shots and avoid moving / blocking heads. Now image a girl, who on average is shorter than a guy, standing in the same position trying to take photos. If she uses the view finder, she would find it even harder to take photo compared to that taller guy.

Now, in the same situation, a Sony Alpha user, with live view and a tiltable LCD screen, would have no problems composing and taking photos. He on live view mode, tilt the screen down, hold the DSLR over his head and compose and shoot.

11471957.jpg

There's many other situations where live view can be used. For example taking Candid shots of people and especially kids. Its human nature to either pose, or look away or act unnaturally when you see someone taking a camera, looking thru the view finder and aiming it at you. Kids especially will tend to pose or run away when they notice u taking photos of them. So with a DSLR and composing shots thru the view finder, there will be more chance of the kids noticing you and they wont be natural at all. However if you use live view, you can place your camera at waist level (pretend to be looking thru the photos or something) and take shots. This way your targets / kids will not be conscious that you are taking photos, and thus it will be easier to take candid shots.

So is live view (and especially Sony's tiltable LCD live view) useless? Far from it. On the hands of someone with a little creativity, the live view with tiltable LCD screen offers other unique way of picture composition as well as to take in difficult angles (like overhead and ground shots).

yes, yes, live view is useful, but for frequent use, i will assure you it is going to be used a lot only for macro. how often are you going to be balancing the camera with one hand above the heads of a crowd? the stability will be scat.

as for looking unglam, since when did part of the "photographer" description say that you had to do it in style?

btw those jokers from the stomp photos you have posted, i have no idea what they are doing, that angle is unflattering for almost anyone i can think of, with any focal length. unless the model looks down, and whatever for.. you are going to have upturned nose syndrome.

knowing how stomp works, they are probably from people whining about pervert photographers. :bsmilie:

yes, yes, live view is useful, but for frequent use, i will assure you it is going to be used a lot only for macro. how often are you going to be balancing the camera with one hand above the heads of a crowd? the stability will be scat.

as for looking unglam, since when did part of the "photographer" description say that you had to do it in style?

of cos live view isnt for frequent use. I compose most of my shots using OVF too (except today, cos im taking macro shots). I mean, it isnt completely useless as there can be situations whereby its better to use live view over OVF, as demonstrated in the picture i posted. with a crowd in front of you, sometimes it can be impossible to use OVF at all. In such cases, the live view will come in very handy.

As to overhead handling, I hv no problems balancing the camera over my head. But of cos that depends on individual I guess. My GF certainly wont be able to hold the camera overhead for more than 10 secs. My niece also surely no strength to do such a thing :bsmilie:

Last edited:
of cos live view isnt for frequent use. I compose most of my shots using OVF too (except today, cos im taking macro shots). I mean, it isnt completely useless as there can be situations whereby its better to use live view over OVF, as demonstrated in the picture i posted. with a crowd in front of you, sometimes it can be impossible to use OVF at all. In such cases, the live view will come in very handy.

As to overhead handling, I hv no problems balancing the camera over my head. But of cos that depends on individual I guess. My GF certainly wont be able to hold the camera overhead for more than 10 secs. My niece also surely no strength to do such a thing :bsmilie:

bleh, am not saying whether you have strength.

i was talking about stability, that is in itself, a separate matter.

you could probably be able to hook your legs around a bar upside down while extending your arm below you to shoot. but whether you get clear shots as a result of this added instability is a totally different matter.

live view is useful, i'll give you that, but it's not all that you jazz it up to sound like.

again, it depends on individual.

You might not be able to hold a camera upright stably doesnt mean others cannot.

However, even if cannot hold 1 handed like the guy in the pic, its still possible to hold a camera stably with 2 hands.

Last edited:
Thanks guya for all the valid tips with regards to live view.
It seems there's no good or bad then,just a matter of individual preferences.
For me,I certainly can do alot more with live view and for now it seems a function that I need.
At least it helps filter off my choices making it easier for me!
Thanks!

If you want liveview, you should look at the sony A330 or older A300. The liveview AF in Canon and Nikon will be even slower than PNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.