What brands and type of slide film should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fooey

Oct 26, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
I've realised that most of the time slide film provides richer colours and more contrasting shots than normal film.

As i shoot primarily on film only as I don't have a digital cam and am tired of getting less than vivid photos, what's the best all round slide film to buy and where can i get the cheapest?

Last question, which shop offers scanning of slide film (cut/uncut) and at what prices? Would it still be cheaper to shoot on film and develop them as compared to shooting on slides and then sending the rolls of film for scanning and later choosing the shots that come out alright?

Pls Advise.. Thanks

Fuji Sensia 100 or if you can get, Fuji Provia 100F is good and cheap for a start since you'll most probably be shooting a couple of them to test out first. :)

I usually try to get the cheapest 100 speed slide film available. Kodak EBX gives you very saturated colours and qualifies as cheap (compared to other slide film). I've good good prices from Cathay, around $6.50 a roll. Sensia is very fine grained but less saturated. I never liked Provia-F because of its blue cast. Plan to try out E100GX this weekend.

thanks for the info...
i've heard kodak slides gives stronger reds and fuji slides a greenish tone.. therefore scenic shots are usually used with fuji slides as opposed to kodak.. any truth in it?

No. It depends on the film. Velvia has a warm cast. Astia is distinctly neutral. Provia has a different response, etc. As for Kodak, the old Ektachrome range is quite neutral and has quite a nice linear response curve. E100VS is really warm and saturated.

i would use velvia50. but it doesnt work for skin tones... to me, provia is neutral enough for most things...

Yah, just try them out and stick with something you like. What works for me may not work for you. I like Kodak EBX (cheap and colourful) and Fuji Provia 400F (finest grained 400 speed slide film, when I need the speed). They both look very good when projected.

Fuji has negs that could produce good colours...there's one i think it's the NPH400.

here are two samples:
02_offering.jpg

02_bandbrothers.jpg

khairi said:
Fuji has negs that could produce good colours...there's one i think it's the NPH400.[/IMG]

NPS and NPH produced rather flat colours because of the purpose it is meant for. Portrait and white weddings.

It is a low contrast and low saturation film. Evidently so from the 2 images you've displayed. The Fuji print film with saturated colors is Fuji Reala. ;)

CaeSiuM said:
NPS and NPH produced rather flat colours because of the purpose it is meant for. Portrait and white weddings.

It is a low contrast and low saturation film. Evidently so from the 2 images you've displayed. The Fuji print film with saturated colors is Fuji Reala. ;)
oh ya...Fuji Reala is good...forgot what's the name!!! Sorry sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.