What are the reasons people will sell their 1D4 and 1Ds3 for 1DX?

6.4k for the 1D4 camera is peanuts...

but buying memory cards at $200++ each and everytime, 5 cards alone is easily $1k.. 10 cards is already $2k+...

and buying 1DX would require me to replace the 10 cards, and CF is much ex, so it would cost me almost $3k.

In total, $2k (SD card loss) + $3k (CF card purchase) = wasted $5k for nothing! top up another $1.4k i can buy another 1D4!

you can actually sell them off to reduce loss...
if i really want to buy the 1DX,the cards won't affect my decision..

but buying memory cards at $200++ each and everytime, 5 cards alone is easily $1k.. 10 cards is already $2k+...

and buying 1DX would require me to replace the 10 cards, and CF is much ex, so it would cost me almost $3k.

In total, $2k (SD card loss) + $3k (CF card purchase) = wasted $5k for nothing! top up another $1.4k i can buy another 1D4!

True... Cos of upgrading is sometimes high... Thats why we got to factor in the extra accessories when upgrading :)

You can always sell your SD card. Curious unless you are not taking video, do you really need that much cards?

I'm wondering the same thing. Seems a little extreme to be needing so many cards. My two 8GB Sandisk Ultra cost me US$50+ total and that's more than I ever need at one go. Unless he's taking huge amount of videos or go into the jungle for days on end, AND shooting thousands of pics without offloading, why would anyone need $3000 worth of cards?

neech7 said:
I'm wondering the same thing. Seems a little extreme to be needing so many cards. My two 8GB Sandisk Ultra cost me US$50+ total and that's more than I ever need at one go. Unless he's taking huge amount of videos or go into the jungle for days on end, AND shooting thousands of pics without offloading, why would anyone need $3000 worth of cards?

Maybe he is trying to form a deck?

i don't get it, don't 1d series use cf cards only?

i don't get it, don't 1d series use cf cards only?

i know the 1D4 has 2 slots..
1 for CF and the other for SD..
you can put 2 different cards at the same time..

Dont think all 1D4 user will sell their 1D4 for 1DX. Some still prefer the 1.3x crop. I'm still using 1D3 so there is a slim chance I might get the 1DX not really as an upgrade but as a replacement for an aging 1D3. What I really like about the1DX is its new focusing system.

nobody state the obvious? Coz everyone knows the newer and more expensive the camera, the better the pictures you get? ;)

Some wanted to get the 1DX so as to make a statement to others - "I have it and you don't."

then you take out your wallet and show them all the money inside, and say "I have it and you don't"

TROLL! :D

When I take out my wallet and show them what was inside... it would be like, "You have it... and I don't :("

Hmm..how bout upgrading for better AF and low light performance (re: noise control) to get the job done? And the ability to shoot using the full frame field of view at high FPS which was what most sports photographers were used to until most were forced to migrate to a cropped frame due to the inability of the full frame camera (until now) to shoot at high fps.

Not everyone upgrades to show off you know :)

Not everyone upgrades to show off you know :)

I'd understand the M9 but the 1DX? The thing is huge and heavy. :dunno: Give me a single grip DSLR any day. :bsmilie:

dolina said:
I'd understand the M9 but the 1DX? The thing is huge and heavy. :dunno: Give me a single grip DSLR any day. :bsmilie:

The 1DX offers so much more functionality and performance over the current best non-gripped DSLR. Professionals need it.

If I have the cash to buy the M9, I won't hesitate to buy the 1DX instead and spend the balance on another lens :)

to a certain degree, new sensors doing well in low light have helped a lot of folks get good shots they could not have previously. then comes the affordability factor, which is the same as asking why stay in condo vs hdb, or why buy continental car instead of korean.

The 1DX offers so much more functionality and performance over the current best non-gripped DSLR. Professionals need it.

If I have the cash to buy the M9, I won't hesitate to buy the 1DX instead and spend the balance on another lens :)

Now that's a sensible thought :)

All DSLRs from Canon have a (single) grip. 1 Series bodies are double gripped. :) Given a choice any professional will take a single grip DSLR over double grip for the simple reason of weight and size. They tolerate the bothersome weight and size of the 1 Series because of the features and ruggedness of the thing. But given a choice they'd rather shoot with a small camera. Traveling with heavy and big gear is a headache in logistics.

Shooting a wedding last night with the PowerShot G9 makes me think that for the money a Leica Digital RangeFinder may be better camera to carry with you everywhere. Yes, the 1DX is nice and all but the guests with double gripped bodies looked more professional than the outfit contracted to document the wedding.

So much so that they were often asked by guests to photograph them even if they were guests themselves.

I on the other hand a small camera that did well enough. :) I expect the iPhone 4S to quickly make low end point and shoots largely irrelevant.

Mind you not a lot of professionals hang out on forums chatting. They're out of their office working. :bsmilie:

Last edited:

SD cards have slower data transfer rates. Slower data = buffer filling faster and transfering from card to computer is slower.

I am glad they finally listened to the vast majority of their customers by doing dual CF cards.

SD cards are positioned for consumer applications thus they can be found on point and shoots and consumer DSLRs.