Whales Watching 50-135mm is good enough

aklryan

Dec 8, 2004
hi,

just to get some advise. Do you think DA* 50-135mm is good enough for whale watching? The concern also the lens is WR so no worry too much of sea water. But also afraid is too short....

Anyone has experience before?

hi,

just to get some advise. Do you think DA* 50-135mm is good enough for whale watching? The concern also the lens is WR so no worry too much of sea water. But also afraid is too short....

Anyone has experience before?

50 - 135 is Focal length of 75 - 200. More than enough to shoot whales.

I think it really depends how close can you get for whale watching?

I think 50-200 or 55-300 would be a safer option? BOth also have WR Version?

There was an article I read sometime back that a person use a Canon mk1x with a 600mm lens for whale watching. He dropped his gear to the bottom of the sea. Be careful of using your equipment and don't let go.I do recommend a DA150-450 as it is hard to determine a right focal length to work with.

The image quality of 50-135 is certainly good enough if you can get that close but given that whales are quite big creatures, the boat you are on might not want to get too close in case the whale hit it..given that it is unsure how close you can get, I will suggest 50-135 + 150-450 combination for the best results..haha..but seriously, if you dun want to spend too much, I will suggest 55-300 (either WR or non WR)..light should be good so you will not need the f2.8..

personally, if I dun wan to spend so much on a new lens, I will get a non WR 55-300 and use a plastic disposable rain cover..the lens should be pretty cheap in 2nd hand market...and if you want, you can always buy those super big carabineer and hook your cam strap to the railing pole..just in case you drop your camera, at least the camera wun drop to the bottom of the sea but whether is it still working will be another matter

thanks bro for the advise so far.... i have choice of lens 50-135mm and a Tokina 80-400mm (Version II) to choose from Dry box. I like the imagine of the 50-135 as far as i have put it to use before.....they both about the same size... definitely not going to bring both over :p...

How near will you be?

Frankly, if its those watch from cliff top type of whale watching vantage points, forget about even taking photos other than for record. :D
Been there done that. :D

How near will you be?

Frankly, if its those watch from cliff top type of whale watching vantage points, forget about even taking photos other than for record. :D
Been there done that. :D

I will be watching from the cruise

thank you guys. I will bring along my tokina 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 AT-X AFII over. Trade this lens with a bro quite sometimes back but no chance to use it. Maybe this trip will come in handy. I just got DA 16-85mm Lens few days back so the over all length is pretty well cover. Anyway is a holiday trip with my family, will be shooting my children (most of the time i think :) )and some scenic