Westcott Apollo

I have this westcott apollo, the end I believe is not tapered, it is shaped just like a normal umbrella. But I am not sure, I can go back home and check it for you. I am not sure how big is your equipment, but I am able to squeeze a bowens monolite 150 inside, its the smaller monolight. There are 2 models for this, one is built for monolights and one is built for hotshoe flashes. I have the hotshoe flash version. One problem with squeezing a bigger monolight into the hotshoe flash version is that there is quite a large hotspot.. light is still diffused but because the monolite's bulb is so much more forward compared to the hotshoe flash, light does not disperse as efficiently. Hope this helps. If you shoot exclusively with monolights I suggest just buying the monolight version.

Thanks. I hold a profoto AcuteB lights with the umbrella holder built into the light. There is a ball bearing in the light that hold the umbrella. The shaft end must be tapered in order to go through. Or else I need to file the end.

I think your lights can fit! my monolight is quite chunky but yours looks far more compact. Anyway the material for the umbrella shaft can most definately be filed down so no worries, simple fix! this is THE softbox if you follow the OneLight DVD, its one hell of a giant softbox

A nice video on the Apollo.

[vid]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nUinrVl_TKc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nUinrVl_TKc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/vid]

dude....thanks for sharing. i find the vids AWESOME cuz they're having fun with that 28" stuff. plus giving us tips as well... thanks man!

I think your lights can fit! my monolight is quite chunky but yours looks far more compact. Anyway the material for the umbrella shaft can most definately be filed down so no worries, simple fix! this is THE softbox if you follow the OneLight DVD, its one hell of a giant softbox

Thanks. I do watched the OneLight DVD and did see the giant softbox in action. :thumbsup:
Will be ordering with my friend tomorrow. ;)

I have this westcott apollo, the end I believe is not tapered, it is shaped just like a normal umbrella. But I am not sure, I can go back home and check it for you. I am not sure how big is your equipment, but I am able to squeeze a bowens monolite 150 inside, its the smaller monolight. There are 2 models for this, one is built for monolights and one is built for hotshoe flashes. I have the hotshoe flash version. One problem with squeezing a bigger monolight into the hotshoe flash version is that there is quite a large hotspot.. light is still diffused but because the monolite's bulb is so much more forward compared to the hotshoe flash, light does not disperse as efficiently. Hope this helps. If you shoot exclusively with monolights I suggest just buying the monolight version.

Just a doubt, are you pointing the mono light facing the front which will cause the hotspot. I thought it should be facing the back of the softbox and shooting against the sliver reflector instead?

dude....thanks for sharing. i find the vids AWESOME cuz they're having fun with that 28" stuff. plus giving us tips as well... thanks man!

Yes they have very nice video. They have more videos showing shoot they have done using just the 28" apollo shooting in the street. Amazing pictures they got just by using this alone.

I like this. How to find a model in 5 words or less.
[vid]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TCdeWk912c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4TCdeWk912c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/vid]

Behind the scene from one of his shoot using the apollo
[vid]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69aUxq5eXSA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69aUxq5eXSA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/vid]

ya the 28" gives nice light too.

Just a doubt, are you pointing the mono light facing the front which will cause the hotspot. I thought it should be facing the back of the softbox and shooting against the sliver reflector instead?

yea it should be facing the back.

yes I am facing the monolight to the back, same as the hotshoe flash, but because the monolight is protruding so far into the back, it doesnt diffuse as much as the hotshoe flash hehe.. but i only use my monolight when I have a wall socket to power it, usually I go with the hotshoes.

Had placed order on the Westcott Apollo 50" with a friend :bsmilie:.

I had found a way to solve the tapered end. See if my company workshop able to fabricate a small piece of tapered stud and glue onto it.

Had placed order on the Westcott Apollo 50" with a friend :bsmilie:.

I had found a way to solve the tapered end. See if my company workshop able to fabricate a small piece of tapered stud and glue onto it.

If you have extra, can i have 1 too? :thumbsup:

Collected the Westcott Apollo softbox today from my friend. :)
First impression the 50" X 50" softbox is huge! Set up was quite easy, just like opening the umbrella. Image below is the final setup of the softbox.

4779935020_4e6fabd171_b.jpg

This is the interior of the setup.

4779301597_42997247b9_b.jpg

4779934202_4093222377_b.jpg

As you can see the umbrella shaft is fixed onto the manfrotto umbrella holder. I had tried to fix the shaft into the Profoto light. But facing difficulties even the shaft end is chamfered.
The stem of the shaft is tapered, it can hit the bulb of the light. It could cause hazard due to the heat from the light. The solution is to use the umbrella holder to hold everything in place.

4779301971_6f2c7da45c_b.jpg

This is the opening that the light stand and cable go through.

4779934684_f71008bc08_b.jpg

This image shows the position of the light in the softbox.

4779933814_36281c1899_b.jpg

Will be conducting the 1st test in tomorrow shoot to see what effect it will produce.

Now to find a bag long enough to protect and carry the umbrella. The overall length is 1.27m.

Any Suggestion?:)

Finally found a chance to use the Westcott Apollo. I like the lighting on the subject. Smooth and even. Below image shows the light falling onto the subject. The softbox was placed beside the staircase at a distance of 2m away from the subject. The power setting on the light was set at 1/2 stop. Camera setting: 1/125 s, f8, ISO 200.

4826363938_3eca950dda_b.jpg

First impression the 50" X 50" softbox is huge! Set up was quite easy, just like opening the umbrella. Image below is the final setup of the softbox.

Hi bro phoakm do you mind let me know where do you get your backdrop set up? Wall mounted? Thks

Hi bro phoakm do you mind let me know where do you get your backdrop set up? Wall mounted? Thks

That is not my backdrop. :)
That belongs to friend's studio.
You can approach Studiospace studio about them.