Wedding Time!

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
OK here in two weeks we are having a massive family wedding over 300 guests...the sister in law. Location is going to be here on the farm in a clearing that has been made in the woods. Time of wedding is 5 PM. Looks like dappled lighting over there right now. I am extremely familiar with the surroundings as I live here.

I'm using the D7K and the 35-70/2.8. Wish I had a 20 too but I don't.

I am not the hired hand but that team has been told they are dealing with a family of amateur photographers (honestly no one in the family is as well studied and practiced as I am - I have 3 weddings where I was serious under my belt so I am comfortable - I have hand it to the wedding guys not as easy as it looks). The hired hands are http://twoplanetproductions.smugmug.com/ . They say they are doing journalistic style.

One cousin who is a professional videographer and one cousin who is special effects guy for Emmy winning tv series who is going to be the drone man will be handling those two duties. I may hold around video boy to grab some of his LED lighting (if it is necessary and used). He likes to interview people possible time to catch some portraits? I am going natural light only...no flash in my bag besides I am not taking my bag.

I am thinking of doing this one RAW (which I never shoot) and in Monochrome mode with the highlight feature on to determine exposure needed. I only shoot Manual mode nothing else...that is just how I roll. Plenty of time to post process because this will be a Christmas or 1st Anniversary surprise wedding album gift for them. They know I am a shooter but I am only going to show them some culls and hold back the rest.

I know the game and the rules and I think I will sit and watch the ceremony itself without tripping a shutter as I am sure that will be covered thoroughly and I think it is rude when the guests are bouncing around everywhere when the ceremony is going down. I also frown upon people with camera phones up to their faces during the ceremony also but that is just me and how I roll nowadays to each their own.(I may sit up front and try to grab the kiss advise please) I am going to stay out of the way of the hired hands and probably try to grab some of the guests that the hired guns may not realize importance of and will be watching and looking for those 'decisive' moments.

Advise please bros...any ideas? What do you think of my strategy and how would you approach it based loosely on the parameters I have defined? Am I missing anything important? What have you bros done before?

Thanks for your attention...I would be grateful to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:
Second shooter was really nice lady photographer. :D

She was using fast 35 on 6D.

photogirl.bmp

Last edited:
Primary shooter...a little soft glad I wasn't getting paid. haha

Good dude I enjoyed talking shop with him and will probably be communicating with him in the future.

Lot of the time he was holding two rigs and shooting with both...crazy no strap!

It turned out I was able to stay out of their way but be right there alongside them basically the whole event. I felt comfortable and went a head and shot a few during the ceremony. So it was a 2 + 1 snapshooter type of team.

21389402029_0512583afb_b.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting around caught this one of one of the groomsmen. The 35-70 makes some really cool images I wish I had full frame to use it with (besides my film bodies). It is pretty small too but sort of heavy.

21585405575_cd2c501165_c.jpg

LZ HDR of VDOgrapher on the prowl getting footage of table details...can't have no mo Kodachrome so...haha

21589404485_e5fcef426a_c.jpg

Last edited:
I use this shareware http://lightzoneproject.org/ to edit my jpeg snaps. I also use gimp.org .

Before...

21599840612_5685fed6af_c.jpg

After...I like the software especially because it is free. Wish I knew how to get rid of that tree. :embrass:

20969366044_6c82dc8938_c.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting around caught this one of one of the groomsmen. The 35-70 makes some really cool images I wish I had full frame to use it with (besides my film bodies). It is pretty small too but sort of heavy.

21585405575_cd2c501165_c.jpg

Perhaps you could bend lower next time when someone is not as tall as you are.

The other pictures are nice too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikonzen

Was kinda wondering how he manage without the straps certainly very pro kind of thingy.:think:

Was kinda wondering how he manage without the straps certainly very pro kind of thingy.:think:

:dunno: Not the way I would approach it I think. He was probably using super wides zone focused and just fishing?..at least that is what I think. He didn't do that ballet very long, and ballet is a good word for it. In the snap he is likely texting the assistant to let her know where he was...she was late. She used a 35/1.4 exclusively I believe and he used a 50/1.4 most of the time. I did not see what was going on in the traditional photos of just the wedding party. They had a back pack with them though and he liked passing cards to her which was something different/new to me???

One person I showed this to questioned his attire...I chalk that up to a laid back bride. Last wedding I went to the photographer was dressed in slacks and a polo shirt. He did an awesome professional job too. Also a Canon shooter. This guy did great as well.

Last edited:
So very young boy is given special role in wedding train to carry carved wood sign. They gave it to him way to early. Naturally said youngster (neat little character) proceeded to sword fight and machine gun everything in sight with said sign and eventually broke it...well not eventually he broke it right away! LOL Anyways this is the father of bride and father of groom trying to keep the action smooth....haha :D

21097658083_ba712876be_b.jpg

" All the lonely people, where do they all come from?
All the lonely people where do they all belong? "

Me and those two ^ built the alter and the dance floor.

21703486201_50ab4df5af_b.jpg

Last edited: