Weather-proof lenses available?

Are these the only native micro Four-Thirds lenses that are weather-proofed at the moment?

Olympus 12-50mm
Olympus 60mm macro
Panasonic 12-35mm
Panasonic 35-100mm

I believe that's correct but I wanted to make certain of my choices. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure about the macro, but the other three are.

Are these the only native micro Four-Thirds lenses that are weather-proofed at the moment?

Olympus 12-50mm
Olympus 60mm macro
Panasonic 12-35mm
Panasonic 35-100mm

I believe that's correct but I wanted to make certain of my choices. Thanks in advance!

At this point in time, apr 2013. Yes. These 4 are the only m4/3 weatherproof lenses.

Thanks, everyone.

I keep hoping that there are more of them, especially the Panasonic 7-14mm and the 8mm fisheye but it will take time.

Well, the 7-14 and the 8mm fisheye were made long before there was such a thing as a weather-proof camera. :)

Well, the 7-14 and the 8mm fisheye were made long before there was such a thing as a weather-proof camera. :)

The Olympus ZD 7-14 & 8mm FE lens were made long before m43 arrived, and certainly splash & dust proof :) MMF3 would still make it dustproof, but the portability/handling of it wouldn't be so ideal, and the mount isn't metal.

just one quick check.. when they say weather / splash proof, does it should be quite safe even if you use the camera or lens in very heavy rain or in places like zoo water play without any secondary rain cover? as long as it is not literally been soak into water, it should be fine right?

just one quick check.. when they say weather / splash proof, does it should be quite safe even if you use the camera or lens in very heavy rain or in places like zoo water play without any secondary rain cover? as long as it is not literally been soak into water, it should be fine right?

Yeap.

I was in Taiwan and it was raining for quite a few days, including the day I was at the Yehliu Stone park thing.

Super drenched, moderate to heavy rain. My OM-D + 12-35 Panasonic still working fine.

The issue is of course you can't really take pictures if the water splashes on the lens and you don't wipe it off.

The Olympus ZD 7-14 & 8mm FE lens were made long before m43 arrived, and certainly splash & dust proof :) MMF3 would still make it dustproof, but the portability/handling of it wouldn't be so ideal, and the mount isn't metal.

Oops, haha! Should have put in a "m43" somewhere in my sentence. :what:

I used my ZD 50-200mm and ZD 14-54mm in 3 hurricanes and they're still just fine. It's difficult to find heavier rain than that.

I used my ZD 50-200mm and ZD 14-54mm in 3 hurricanes and they're still just fine. It's difficult to find heavier rain than that.

Caveat here. The oly 4/3 cams and lenses are well known for being very weatherproof. However I've only seen reports of folks using the m4/3 line in light rain. Some initial reports of the em5 EVF fogging up etc after watersplash. So far no reports I've seen on the gh3 weather sealing. So ill say be cautious and use it max in light rain.

Caveat here. The oly 4/3 cams and lenses are well known for being very weatherproof. However I've only seen reports of folks using the m4/3 line in light rain. Some initial reports of the em5 EVF fogging up etc after watersplash. So far no reports I've seen on the gh3 weather sealing. So ill say be cautious and use it max in light rain.

Shadowoflight has a report.
I have used it in rain a few times too. I'm sure there are others who use it in inclement weather without any fear. After all that's why they buy the camera. Of course, there are Manu who choose to not to test it. Btw, I hv even rinsed the camera under the tap.

I would think the omd probably not as wr as the other wr cameras,

Due to the evf and the hotshot area.

Will still take reasonable care when using it in shower,

when olympus means weather proof, not only it is safe to use under heavy rain. it can also go for shower.
I washed my camera E1 , ZD11-22, 50-200mm

[video=youtube;fmoskUtCnoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmoskUtCnoY[/video]

I'll be glad to use the GH3 and 35-100mm f/2.8 in the rain to see. It's supposed to be the rainy season but we've had colder than usual temperatures here. The last time I was photographing baseball, we had a light sprinkle, and I think almost every camera could withstand that. However, I'm sure I'll be outside and it will pour, so I'll get a good test. (I just have to remember not to use the Four-Thirds Leica/Panasonic 25mm f/1.4.)

Daniel J Cox of NaturalExposures.com posted something from a Panasonic contact about the GH3 waterproof rating in response to a query:

Sirio, I heard from one of my contacts at Panasonic this morning regarding your question about whether the GH3 is waterproof or not. Unfortunately, this is his response.

“The GH3 is by no means water proof. I believe the official rating is IPX3, while the Olympus OMD is only an IPX2. It guards against minor moisture such as a few drops of rain, external and internal condensation and so on. It is not intended to sustain any direct water flow. The IPX rating only applies when it’s used with either the 12-35 or 35-100 lens that also carry the same spec. Sorry, not recommended. I’m aware of the Pentax. Wish I could say yes, but I don’t want anyone to be disappointed. This might be of some help to you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code”

Bob Kozlarek
Sr. Product Engineer
Digital Still Camera / Audio Products
So I guess for now we’re out of luck in the waterproof department but the new Gh3 and updated lenses do provide better than normal water resistance. The video you shared, highlighting the Waterproof Pentax, will most certainly inspire others to do the same or similar. That’s an amazing video and impressive that Pentax has taken serious adventurers such as yourself so seriously. Thanks for the question

Source: Testing Panasonic’s Newest Micro Four Thirds Camera: The GH3 « Equipment Reviews « Natural Exposures – Corkboard (Comment #30)

Last edited:
Daniel J Cox of NaturalExposures.com posted something from a Panasonic contact about the GH3 waterproof rating in response to a query:

When someone says waterproof, I expect it to go into the water but not so with weatherproof.

Submerging has happened with the Olympus E-1, E-3, and E-5 bodies but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I think those for whom it's happened were lucky that their equipment wasn't ruined.

the Oly bodies I've tried so far have proven themselves to be quite water resistant. I've used the EP3 (supposely afraid of water) in a heavy storm at single digit temperatures w/ the 12-50mm and it survived. (though I was scared enough to send the body to Oly straight after the trip) and the guys there gave it the all clear. In a heavy storm meaning that the camera body and lens were dripping wet.

Going along this theory, I'd certainly give the OMD and 12-35 combo credibility in its water resistant abilities, i'd believe its definitely ok to use this combo even in heavy rain, though I will definitely hesitate to dunk it into a pail of water. There is a diff between submerging the camera in water and having water splashed onto it right..

I'm using the MMF-3 with the ZD 14-35mm regularly on the GH3 and I'm not seeing a problem yet, thankfully.

I remember complaining about the lack of good micro Four-Thirds lenses when the E-M5 was announced and I caught hell for saying the adapter probably was too weak for the job. I'm glad to be proven wrong. I haven't tried it extensively with the ZD 35-100mm. That would certainly test the MMF-3's limits.

I'm happy with handling of the ZD lenses on the GH3 via the adapter. I certainly wouldn't suggest most of them for the E-PM2 or GH6, though.