wearing specs = disadvantage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old are you? Once you are nearing 40s, long sightedness sets in and you need the diopter to compensate. I have a colleague whose sister, in her early 30s, suffering from long sightedness.

Do I need to worry? I find a -1 diopter more comfortable than a 0 setting even with glasses on so I've set up all my cameras this way. Certainly not anywhere near my 40's. Images are turning out fine though :)

I have a differing opinion. People who don't wear glasses doesn't mean they eyesight is perfect, it means that the gap in degree does not affect their visual interpretation but does not mean they see clearly. In fact a person with new glasses see clearer since it is optimized.

I agree, glasses will not interfere with the camera unless the degree is really out.

Side track a bit, when your spectacle degree no longer fluctuates yearly anymore, switch to high quality eye lense. There are difference in brightness, clarity with good spectacle lense.

you mean the quailty of my glasses lense plays a part too?

I have a differing opinion. People who don't wear glasses doesn't mean they eyesight is perfect, it means that the gap in degree does not affect their visual interpretation but does not mean they see clearly. In fact a person with new glasses see clearer since it is optimized.

I agree, glasses will not interfere with the camera unless the degree is really out.

Side track a bit, when your spectacle degree no longer fluctuates yearly anymore, switch to high quality eye lense. There are difference in brightness, clarity with good spectacle lense.

People who can don't wear glasses and eyesight is slightly NOT perfect shall consider very minor Myopic(short sight)/hypermetropia (long sight)/presbyopia (age-related accomodative loss)/etc.

For Myopic (short sight), you need concave glass to correct this. Each individual eyesight (left or right eye) has it's own line of axis of view and is easy shift up/down or sideway(left/right) by the concave glass when look thru the space/eyepiece/view finder(also glass). <Glasses related:> This can give incorrect images depending on what portion of the glasses you are looking through, i.e. it might look like the sharpest image but in actually it isn't.

The very expensive glass (gradient degree type): top glass (highest degree) middle portion glass(almost corrected degree) bottom(lowest degree) may help.

I disagree: Glasses will interfere with the camera. Don't forget the view of seeing the object is difference from those without wearing spec.

No effect towards photography but yes to the eyes, which is why I side track the topic for interest sake.

High quality spectacle optics like top quality plastic for example offer good clarity, light/thin, scratch resistance and lesser discoloration. Besides view quality, aesthetic view improves there is little distortion when people look your eyes. Even progressive lens distortion is not visible from outside.

Those who never used high spectacle optics before will fear using shirt to clean for fear of scratches or chipped when dropped. While others are heavy that leaves a deep impression on the nose bridge.

you mean the quailty of my glasses lense plays a part too?

Good Luck... :)

Thanks...Back in one piece liao in just 2 hours this morning :lovegrin:

For a long time....this is the best thing I have done to myself...I am free from spectacle now, and I can see far sight clearly without aid.....road sign....car no.plate....Text on TV etc....though the whole picture is is still in dreamy effect now...it should improve over days.....To me this is the best pair of lens that I could own :thumbsup:

Thanks...Back in one piece liao in just 2 hours this morning :lovegrin:
For a long time....this is the best thing I have done to myself...I am free from spectacle now, and I can see far sight clearly without aid
Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!)

The very expensive glass (gradient degree type): top glass (highest degree) middle portion glass(almost corrected degree) bottom(lowest degree) may help.
I'm wearing a bifocal, the gradient type. Yeah, sometimes I had problems whether which portion I should choose!

where you doing your lasik? intralase or what? offer a lil details please =D would prove useful to over half the sg populace

Er, question to the Threadstarter: why are you using MF? Is AF not available to you?

Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!)

I'm wearing a bifocal, the gradient type. Yeah, sometimes I had problems whether which portion I should choose!

Ok, I'm going OT but...

If presbyopia (lo fa- not pin ying, but u know what I mean) has set in, try a cataract/ clear lens extraction operation. It can do the same job. Actually it can be better, because
1) if u have lasik now, give it 5-15 years and you might need the cataract surgery anyway)
2) multifocal lenses can correct for presbyopia too (lasik cannot)- though there are other drawbacks.

Of course a cataract operation has higher and more serious risks.

The main issue with even successful lasik surgery is that drs still cannot accurate gauge which lens implant to put in when cataract surgery is needed 20-30 years later. But if your cornea has sufficient depth then they can always lift the flap and do a re-treatment ;)

Me? I'm happy with contact lenses for now. In fact I went back to contacts when I took up photography :cool:

Do I need to worry? I find a -1 diopter more comfortable than a 0 setting even with glasses on so I've set up all my cameras this way. Certainly not anywhere near my 40's. Images are turning out fine though :)

Good for you. The only problem I find with taking pics with glasses is that there is a larger space between eyeball and viewfinder. So, the viewfinder looks smaller.

OT a little - To others considering Lasik - I am in my early 40s. My left eye degree actually improved from -425 to -375. I reduced my contact lens prescription further to -350 to enable reading without a need for reading glasses. If I had done lasik in my 30s, my eye would have been over-corrected.

I am very impressed. Here we talk about glasses and lasik and at the bottom the advertisment of eyewear and lasik. :bsmilie:

Is the banner done manually or by picked by program text search.:dunno:

I am very impressed. Here we talk about glasses and lasik and at the bottom the advertisment of eyewear and lasik. :bsmilie:

Is the banner done manually or by picked by program text search.:dunno:

noticed.. i think is done by text search bah... so i think is my glasses need some updating or maybe i should get a pair of contacts...

sometimes MF is just better than AF.;)

There might be a simpler solution - change your focusing screen.

I find that my 'hit rate' with the split-screen and microprism collar is very high - I have a number of older cameras with that kind, and I'm working with fast primes such as 35/2.0's, 28/2.8 and 45/2.8's (the last one is a med format).

I would prefer not to use MF on my AF cameras since they don't have that screen.. I find that the matte screens are not as precise as the split/prism screens for MF. Let the AF do its job.

sometimes MF is just better than AF.;)

That doesn't explain anything...what situations do you find yourself using MF? Is it necessary? I know some newbies like to use MF just 'cause they now can with a SLR, but it's really just trying to be fancy instead of using the tools that you have already been presented with to get the best picture, in this case, autofocus.

Sometimes, when it is quite dark, the AF just won't work (and shutter button won't function). With MF, at least can try, even if it is high chances of hit and miss.

That doesn't explain anything...what situations do you find yourself using MF? Is it necessary? I know some newbies like to use MF just 'cause they now can with a SLR, but it's really just trying to be fancy instead of using the tools that you have already been presented with to get the best picture, in this case, autofocus.

Congrats to a world of clarity! OT a bit, I thought of lasik before too, but it's the risk that is holding me back (ok ok, it's the lack of guts that's holding me back!) !

Lasik is not a silver bullet to cure eye problem, though it's very safe, it is still an op so it does carries certain degree of risk....also don't expect to get eagle eye after the op, as of todays no clinic here can guarantee that.....so one have to study the pros and cons and be prepared for worst case scenario....there can be also side effect that occur on different individual :sweat:

As for me, I am happy to be able to go specs free on my daily tasks now :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I rely on the AF most of the time. So no problem for me. The problem with glasses is that after shooting, the glasses get dirty because of the contact with the rubber, and the glasses contact the eye lashes, etc... so must clean. ;p

wearing specs will not cause ur pics will be blur. but there are some tips for u..

1) your imaging sensor could be dirty, clean it
2) ur lens could be dirty
3) u are using a poor quality filter in the front that causes reflection ( i had a poor quality 1 and all my pictures look blur including in the viewfinder..

but if u say whn u look into the view finder, the pic is clear,but the pic when taken aint clear, most likely ur imaging sensor is dirty. u have to lift up the mirror to clean the sensor. but i am not a professional so look up the net for some sensor cleaning guides

Status
Not open for further replies.