Water Lily

Status
Not open for further replies.

sathea

Jan 3, 2004
Singapore
www.yaohui.sg
A flower I took recently near Suntec City with my toy camera.
I did a little post processing, wonder if people here like it.

45134962.jpg

Crop it =) Crop the left edge & top edge of the pic. Crop the outer lying lily pads.
By doing that, cropped objects have less of a presence & draws attention back to the flower.

It's the same technique with portraiture...crop the head, blur ears & neck to make the eyes, mouth & nose more prominent.

i think the post processing gave the picture a rather 'fresh' look, quite pleasing IMHO. but i'll prefer a long crop. if you don't mind i did an example here, will remove upon request:

45134962a.jpg

the idea is to place the flower in the centre horizontal line and give it some space on the right while reducing some 'non-contributing' space on the left.

i tend to agree with rev's suggestion to crop the top and left of the pic. i would place the centre of the flower at the bottom right third of the photo. the colours are deep and rich, with excellent detail in the water drops as well. definitely a good effort from a toy camera!

Definitely should crop the left and top... too much black on the left.

Interested to see the original (if still available) to see how much PP has affected the shot.

AReality said:
What u want comments on? The post processing or the photo itself?

anything.
both the post processing and photo if you have anything to comment, so that i can improve further.

sathea said:
A flower I took recently near Suntec City with my toy camera.
I did a little post processing, wonder if people here like it.

45134962.jpg

Hah.....as is or little crop of the black area on the left (1/2 a cm)
will do for me...

rgds,
sulhan

:thumbsup: Great pic! The colours are rich, it's really great post-processing here.

:thumbsd: Not much complaints. Perhaps the bottom left dark area can be cropped off, but it's still good as it is.

I would leave the picture as it is. Cropping to fulfil the 1/3 rule isn't essential, since the colour profile of the flower is contrasty enough to attract the attention. Nice job on the post-processing.

One thing that nags me though... the flower seems unnatural, with the far side showing more texture than the near side, or rather, the flower is neither uniformly flat (as in a bird-eye view flat), or textured enough to stand out.

nah the tight crop is unnecessary IMHO.... gives the suffocating feeling....y do tt...i like it the way it is too...

What are your trying to show here ? There is no really dominat object to hang an eye ball on. There is much promise here youhave to decide what story you are telling. Its a very good capture and post processing you need to make hard decision on what is the story. I like this shot.

i think the composition looks good the way it is. plenty of space and relevant background, context, leading to the flower (or wadever crap, as long as it feels good instinctively right??!?!?!!)

think the colour is too saturated, i believe it should be more subtle for the poignant theme to be brought out

my humble opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.