Wat to bring for Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stray Sheep

Oct 26, 2006
Woodlands
Good Day Folks!

I've bought a D40 recently and decided to bring it along for my trip to Gold Coast at the end of the yr (together with my pns). Currently I'm holding to only the kit lens and the 50-200 VR. Is the lens combination enuff to survive the trip? Also i'm thinking of getting a UV filter to protect the front elements of the lens but wondering if it will degrade the image quality. Will actually having a lens hood solve my prob?

Last but not least, I'm still a newbie trying to explore photography, is there a need for me to get a flash now? I cant decide whether I need a SB600 anot.

Thx in advance for all advice :)

Ya a CPL for a wide angle len to take the beautiful landscape :lovegrin: Zoom to take Babes and surfer though 200mm might not be enought hehe. Lens hood will help to protect the front element provided you keep it on all the time.

Thx you noob sniper and airfins...

I'll get a CPL for my lens. I'm also keeping the lens hood on my 55-200 all the time.
Now I'm still wondering if i shld get a UV filter for my 18-55..

You should bring a blower along, in case sand gets onto the lens or body. Don't clean with a cloth or else you'll scratch the lens.

Be careful, there's a lot of wind and sea-spray at gold coast. A reasonably good UV filter for both lens will provide some protection for the front element from the sand and sea-spray, and shouldn't degrade your image that noticeably. I've a Hoya HMC filter on my 18-70 and I can't tell the difference compared to if I didn't have it on.

A soft cloth for cleaning down all the camera gear at the end of each day will be good.

As others have mentioned, CPL would also be very helpful bcos of the glare/reflections from the sun. The lens hood would also be good to have on.

The lens combo is good enough. Enjoy your trip.

Thx you Hobbesyeo ...

I've made up my mind to get a blower and CPL at the moment. Maybe the UV filter at a later stage. Do u guys still put on the lens hood after fixing the CPL? Any recommendations for CPL? Is the Hoya one okie?

If your lens is internal focusing then its ok to use the lens hood and CPL together. If not the CPL will be difficult to access inside the lens hood, especially if its a long one and narrow hood.

Thx you Hobbesyeo ...

I've made up my mind to get a blower and CPL at the moment. Maybe the UV filter at a later stage. Do u guys still put on the lens hood after fixing the CPL? Any recommendations for CPL? Is the Hoya one okie?

Usually, after you put on the CPL, you won't have the hood on as it interferes with the CPL.
I have a Hoya one which works fine for me.

hmm.. well, if you are not going for a filter for your lens, that's fine. You just need to be more careful with the sand and sea spray.

Oh I see... Thx you so much... Maybe I shld get the UV filter as well juz in case..

Thx you!!

Oh I see... Thx you so much... Maybe I shld get the UV filter as well juz in case..

i think a uv filter is necessary too - use it on all (at least most of) my lenses. i dont see much diff in the qual of my pics. a cpl is a great idea, but was thinking if u dont mind spending 100+, get a uv/cpl filter from hoya, which does the jobs of both filters.
18-55 and 55-200 shld be adequate, and use a hood whenever u can. theres a new type of hood which allows u to turn the cpl with the hood on, though im not too sure its available for those lenses
i doubt u will need a flash, though it might be useful to get 1.

good luck and have a nice trip
cheers;p

Thx you 2.8photography for ya advice..

Seems like many suggest for a UV filter, okie I'll go try one out this wkend.
Like wat u said, flash might nt be necessary, it has dropped off from my shopping list.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.