Warning/ Reaction to Lowballers.

Reaction to lowballers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ai ya these nuisance still aaround all the time. put already also no use.(in fact i did). Like it or not, when we sell sthg it is already a business deal and please don't come out with student la..tight budget la...all these are crap. if i need to do charity it will be somewhere else. for someone still got money to splurge on lens. obviously i no need to do charity. if no money don't buy as simple as that. negotiate is fine as long within seller limit which most of us already have set.

If you REALLY are a student, my advise don't waste money on dslr or lens. go and study hard and make your money in future. then all your L lens will be cheap to you. bugger off student bidders...

when i was a student, i too was using a p&s.
normally this kind of ppl, best is to tell them to bugger off and say you're not interested in dealing with him...

haha..in the beginning i wanted to tell him FO. in the end ask him use money go buy revision books better. it is a better investment. what is with student these days?next time cannot find proper job then complaint low pay and no money buy house etc?

sure got dis kind of people.....sell or no sell...the student's trick is many.....for me bns must be agree by both, if it's ridiculously low offer jus ignore, if the seller sell about shop price? same thing..... ignore,

yes..so irritating right. type out so obvious already and they still cannot understand? willing buyer willing seller principle. come on man all you low ballers...is just a 1-2k lens. got money buy no money don't buy..don't come use your student stunt..no money eat. i don't give a hoot. is only a damn lens..not even asking u to buy a rolex Sub or GMT watch...1-2k is so stretching to you then you are better off saving that money for emergency.

It is not good to label others with a derogatory term like lowballers.
Just because they offered a low price?
That's what marketplace is all about.
Supply and Demand.
Willing buyer - willing seller.

So is this meant to terrorise others into not offering a low price?
Then why not cut a long story short and advertise FIXED PRICE.

The marketplace cuts both ways.

I have ever matched the stated price of an advertiser in CS.
Guess what? Then the seller got greedy and refused to sell, hoping to stir up more interest so that he could sell to the highest bidder.
I did not label him using any insulting derogatory term (what is the opposite of lowballer-buyer?)
Just let him be. Did not freak out and post insulting threads about nasty seller like what sometimes appears in Kopitiam. But usually we see threads insulting potential buyers who in the end did not buy.

Guys, it is only a hobby.
Cool it.
The money that you earn selling the stuff is not that much, lah. Don't freak out and start calling other people insulting names.

Last edited:
Well it depends on my mood sometimes really. At the same time i also admit i low-balled in earlier days. To be honest who doesn't want to get a good deal?

I laugh it off if the request is really ridiculous.

Though once i was not too happy with continuous strings of low-balling and smsed "Didn't you see my thread?! It writes NON-NEGOTIABLE!" to one of the bargainers and apparently that fellow forumer came back onto me again on a unrelated thread when I called him hostile, and gave me a reminder that I was even more hostile back in the sms. :bsmilie:

Thing of the past and just an example to be nice to everyone in BnS as you never know who you will be talking to next.

For my case, you'll nvr know the guy i screw up on the sms for his low-balling might have been a shooter who wanted to join my shoot. Never a win-win situation to be rude.

Last edited:
So is this meant to terrorise others into not offering a low price?
Then why not cut a long story short and advertise FIXED PRICE.

i think, i always tend to write price non negotiable, or something like that.

but then again, it is always like that. i once had to sell off a macbook power adaptor for someone, posted up the ad somewhere else.. got people try to call me in uk nearly 3 months? or 2 months after the ad was up.. and still getting sms that go "$60 fast deal?" "please reply me fast, i am going to commit to another deal", before they spam call despite rejecting their call since picking up the phone subjects me to all sorts of high call charges.

that adaptor sells for $140 upwards in shops, most second hand prices are $80-$90.

I'll include a link to another thread/website offering the same item at lower price and ask whether they can match the pricing. (The item may no longer be available, hence need to ask the current seller)

At least, it's not unrealistic pricing and if pple put up for sale at that pricing means it's a reasonable price, even if the seller may not accept it. but at least it should not be labeled as a "low ball" offer or something like that.

but sometimes in very rare cases, people do sell for below-market value..

This is all about tact.

Instead of "lowballers stay away", use the more polite words:-

1. "I am not willing to sell below $XXX"; or

2. "Non-negotiable".

no difference one la.

It happens in most forums isnt it.

Its really perception.
take for an eg, buying a lens.

50mm 1.8 selling for 110 in BnS, seller say pm or email to discuss price.

I tried my luck say $80, ignore if too low.

lidat considered lowball??

i offered 80 coz no warranty as brand new cost $120+

i got ignored of coz.. too low for seller... but i didnt mean to lowball the seller..

and ive seen plenty of posts selling their things with prices marked up just to counter the haggling.
mkt price $50 post $60 .. den put neg ?

so is offering $45 straightaway consider lowballing ??

peace out

Last edited:
lowballers. bah. i freaking hate them.

students ? gave up on them. I seriously dont mind giving discount to students but it really will depend. Now i dont give any discounts at all.

1) they might have rich parents.
2) they smoke. can afford to spend $$ buying ciggies means got lots of money. money spent on ciggies if saved up can afford what.
3) eat fast food/expensive places . same logic as 2)

i scrapped through my allowances. i worked part time/freelance to get what i want. i loaned money from parents and pay them back slowly or even not getting allowances. i ate home cooked/self made meals just to save up to get what i want.

i am negotiable but offering ridiculous prices is a big turn off.

also about calling at late night. i might be online at 2am or 3am but that doesnt mean im gonna entertain your call.

i always ask sellers if price is negotiable, if my offer is too low, i'll counter to make it closer to their asking price. i dont mind paying, in the end you made a friend . some i buy it at their asking price but when meeting up give discounts aka those that no smaller change or very kind enough to give discounts . encountered a few of them. very nice people

wat about high baller??? selling at 1st hand price for a 2nd hand product.. or even higher than 1st hand price which can might as well get from shop???

lowballers. bah. i freaking hate them.

students ? gave up on them. I seriously dont mind giving discount to students but it really will depend. Now i dont give any discounts at all.

1) they might have rich parents.
2) they smoke. can afford to spend $$ buying ciggies means got lots of money. money spent on ciggies if saved up can afford what.
3) eat fast food/expensive places . same logic as 2)

i scrapped through my allowances. i worked part time/freelance to get what i want. i loaned money from parents and pay them back slowly or even not getting allowances. i ate home cooked/self made meals just to save up to get what i want.

i am negotiable but offering ridiculous prices is a big turn off.

also about calling at late night. i might be online at 2am or 3am but that doesnt mean im gonna entertain your call.

i always ask sellers if price is negotiable, if my offer is too low, i'll counter to make it closer to their asking price. i dont mind paying, in the end you made a friend . some i buy it at their asking price but when meeting up give discounts aka those that no smaller change or very kind enough to give discounts . encountered a few of them. very nice people
Typical "student" excuse, :bsmilie: Just be firm with the decision. :)

The most disgusting lot will be those that agreed on the dealing price, viewed it and requested for discount on the spot.

wat about high baller??? selling at 1st hand price for a 2nd hand product.. or even higher than 1st hand price which can might as well get from shop???

Well, then ain't the choice obvious? Since you've mentioned that they're selling higher than the shop, the buyer should just head down to the shop and get it instead.

What seems to be the issue over here?

Typical "student" excuse, :bsmilie: Just be firm with the decision. :)

The most disgusting lot will be those that agreed on the dealing price, viewed it and requested for discount on the spot.

yeah i agree totally. i was selling something WAAAAAY below market price and they have the cheek to still ask for lower. omfg...;(

yeah i agree totally. i was selling something WAAAAAY below market price and they have the cheek to still ask for lower. omfg...;(

:bsmilie: I had one dude that requested discount of $150 off the original price of $1K. A reply "No way" sent him off to fly kite. :bsmilie:

I chose: Reply nicely and explain that offer is too low.

But it's really not as simple as that. I usually do that if it's through PM. However for offers that come through SMS, I try to ignore unless I get really irritated.

Recently I just sold off my D200. During the course of it, I met a student (so am I really) who was interested in buying. I gave him a discount, then he said he found something cheaper and won't be buying from me so I said okay. Then he asked again whether it was still available and he wanted even more discount. I said no more discount but assured him that it's worthy of the price I was quoting and that he could view with no obligation. So he did. He couldn't confirm whether he could afford it so I took it back.

The next day, he wanted to cut the price even more citing "due to no good condition" and I told him I couldn't do that for him and that there were other parties interested in buying at my price and also that he shouldn't degrade my gear wrongfully cos I had handled it with care and respect. Eventually, I sold it off to someone who have bought other stuff from me and before that I had informed this guy that there are high bidders already. The next day after selling, he asked for even more discounts! I told him sold already, and he replied something like "please, I will pay $XXX" which was the lowest price he ever quoted me!

That was the WORST lowballer I've ever met with. The others at least had the courtesy to back off after I decline them politely.

You sure he is a student? Perhaps studying is his part time job and he is a full time 2nd hand photo gear dealer. Buying low and selling high so continue to use his low ball tactics to build his inventory.

Nothing wrong with wanting a better deal than the stated price.
Just be polite about it and ask the seller whats their best price or bottom dollar.
Cuz sometimes when i list stuff for sale i ll quote more than my best price in expectation that someone will ask for a discount. Its a psychology thing ... makes the buyer happy and less likely to complain about small stuff.

Nothing wrong with wanting a better deal than the stated price.
Just be polite about it and ask the seller whats their best price or bottom dollar.
Cuz sometimes when i list stuff for sale i ll quote more than my best price in expectation that someone will ask for a discount. Its a psychology thing ... makes the buyer happy and less likely to complain about small stuff.

also must be reasonable.

you quote $500, they quote you $250, you think that is the discount you expected to be asked about? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.