Wanted: Photographers for Vesak Day Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthling82

Jan 5, 2009
Hi

Looking to form a small group of photographers to document vesak day celebrations all over singapore. It will be on an interest basis.

The shoot will be on vesak day itself (in fact 1 night before and thru the night + whole of next day), we will start our shoot across various temples in singapore. In-between will have travelling so those with transport most welcome.

This shoot is made possible through my networks with various buddhist temples in spore. The interesting thing is that I will do my best to cover the celebrations of temples of different tradition (Spore, Chinese, Thai, Western, Japanese and tibetan). Meanwhile I have officially secured the group as main photographer of 1 buddhist temple.

If you like to add-on, I'm welcome. Pls put your name and camera systems below if you are interested. Hope to get at least 10 in. Any questions pls pm me.

Vesak Day Photoshoot
1) earthling82 (nikon d300)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

I am keen, but am concerned about the number of photographers involved.

It is, afterall, a religious festival. And photography is usually not allowed at places of worship for good reason.

Can 10 photographers shoot at the same place (assuming we are getting access to the inside of the temples) and not be disruptive to the proceedings?

It is, afterall, a religious festival. And photography is usually not allowed at places of worship for good reason.

Can 10 photographers shoot at the same place (assuming we are getting access to the inside of the temples) and not be disruptive to the proceedings?

Shared the same thoughts and do not own personal transport. :think:

Hi

I'll answer your qn in point form

1) Based on my networks, photography can be done at religious places with permission from which I'll obtain with the individual management. I am in the Buddhist circle for more than 10 years and know roughly how to go through proper channel and who to speak to. More importantly I also like to propose compiling our best pictures for use by the temples. This is thus a win-win situation for the temple!

2) 10 photographers won't be shooting at the same place. Instead photographers will be grouped into teams of 2-3 and based at 1 temple only. At specific timings, travelling across temples is allowed based on timing of event. Most temples will start their event from 8-10am vesak day hence we can't be everywhere all at the same time.

3) Everyone will attend a briefing by myself on religious photography and tour of temple before actual day shoot.

Henceforth I will be the main Ops guy on that day. Other than shooting, I have to liaise with the team leaders in case anything goes wrong

Last edited:
hi ..
so the before vesak day and actual day means .. 25 april(night) and 26 april(whole day )?

Hi

Yes. I leave it up to individual photographers how long they want to shoot. Those who can only make it for a few hours also welcome.

I expect a few temples to run extended hours and there are some i know that does chanting through the night. Because I also take part in these events (and not just photoshoot), thus I have longer endurance and can stay longer to capture those special moments :)

Because I also take part in these events (and not just photoshoot), thus I have longer endurance and can stay longer to capture those special moments :)

TFCD for TS! Hahahaha. Count me in. Shooting Canon... whether using 40D or 500D depends on whether I can sell my 40D before then, and if the 500D drops. :D

Interested but also already involved in a shoot for another buddhist cultural centre :D
But I'm sure it'll be really interesting to cover different styles all at once!

I noticed something..isn't Vesak Day on 9th May instead of 26th Apr as mentioned above?

Hi i interested in the events. But i will need the exact date and timing to schedule it.
My camera is Canon EOS450. I do have transport.

Thank

Vesak day is on the 9 May, Sat....

Pls include me. Canon 450D user. With transport. :)
Thanks.

Hi,

I,m interested. D90 but no transport... :embrass:

I should be ok on that day. Me using Nikon D700.

it seems interesting, but not sure if my skills are good enough..open to all?

Can I participate? I'm using a film Voigtlander Bessa R2A. No personal transportation :(

am keen also. using canon 20D.

me too, d200 ...

Good idea, I am keen to join, but no transport. Me using D70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.