Voigtlander Bessa Question...

Bessa R4M, is unique with its .58x wideangle viewfinder. Quite accurate to focus 40MM F1.4 even though it has a very short EBL. Ergonomics are good, build is better on the mechanical versions IIRC. R2A is the most versatile of the all the versions IMO. The 1:1 of R3 is not for everyone and framelines of R4 is mainly for wide angles.

Will be able to use the frame lines on the R4 with no problem. I shoot with my spectacles on too, not trouble at all. I used a Bessa R2, it's not wide enough for 28mm and specs. R4 is fine.

on hindsight shooting with a M6 and M8, i really think Bessa R2A series are the best ! modern camera with all the function at fraction of price. and just invest in lens rather than the body. So, give me R2A/R3A anyday !

I prefer M versions instead of A versions.if you like the A versions, can also consider the ZI

I'm surprised this thread is still alive, given I started it in Oct 2010, doubtful if I should jump into the RF world headfirst.

Well a lot has happened since then. I sold my Canon, got a R2M, used it a lot and loved it. Eventually succumbed to the Leica pressure and got me a M6. Loved both cams but I did not have the money to buy two lenses. So the R2M retired. I take it out once in a while to exercise it and reminisce the good times we had.

How do the two cameras compare? Well, let me put it this way, the R2M is like a young strong man, smart and robust looking. He works hard and works brilliantly. But somehow, you know he's going to grow old, and you just don't know if he will age well.

The M6 is like an aged gentleman. He's solid, smooth and you know he's all substance and not just talk. And he has proven that he's aged well, and he gives you the assurance that he will continue to age well (along with you).

Eventually I decided the R2M would be happier being with someone who would use it more so I sold it. I was happy a JC student bought it. He looked like he will treat the camera with respect and use it a lot. It was a day of mixed emotions.

It's a real strange thing how we guys get attached to mechanical devices and develop real relationships with them. I'm not talking about iphones and ipads here, because digital is just crap. I'm talking solid mechanical devices, like Rolleis, Hasselblads and leicas, and yes, Voigtlanders.

My wife laughs at me for being this way, but I'm sure out there, many like-minded guys will say, "Well, I'm glad I'm like this"...

@nazgulking ,artspraken,aomoon,crispy12,Gangru,kaxdd. - thanks for your comments and views. It helps a newbie to rf such as me a lot!
I think I will try out the r4 as I intend to use 28 mm initially but further down the road get a 50 mm as well. Well I will try all 3 versions to see what works best for me.

@ Benwal - I'm glad u started this thread all those years ago as it has a lot of good meaningful discussion for someone like me.
Now regarding your love affair with mechanical objects I can relate to it as I have same feeling towards cars. I sometimes speak to them under my breath! Lol!

Thanks again!

Regards
Akkers

I can do some poisoning with my R4M probably after CNY. I'm in the midst of preparing for my pre-wedding shoot and also some side business. If you don't mind after CNY, we can meet up. Or if you stay near Pasir Ris area, we can meet after office hours for a while...

Wow..congratulations on the wedding! Enjoy the preparations!

i m up at Toa Payoh so coming to Pasir Ris after work is a bit difficult...
I m in no rush as such. Will go to Chiff to check out the different models. But i ll will take you up on the offer to meet up with you after CNY! :)

Thanks!

Hi guys,
im gonna get a bessa r3m + 40 cron f2. is this setup enuf for street & general shooting?

it's perfect!

Hi guys,
im gonna get a bessa r3m + 40 cron f2. is this setup enuf for street & general shooting?

This setup is missing film :p

It is great enough if you're okay with 40mm. Not so much if you need wide angles.

I've loads of film with me...lol..been shooting film for awhile now....yup im ok with 40...as i dun intend to capture any landscape photography... :)

Anyone ever use or own a voigtlander 75mm/f1.8 heliar classic? i need 1st hand review on this lens. Thanks

Anyone ever use or own a voigtlander 75mm/f1.8 heliar classic? i need 1st hand review on this lens. Thanks

I've used the f2.5 version which is quite similar but a little bit smaller. The focal length is like a long 50mm... but not really quite long enough for proper portraits. However as a twin lens kit with your 40mm, it's quite a good match. I used 35/75 for a long time, very good for lightweight travel.

1.8 is also very fast which will be great for low light.

Yep i have that in mind. Coz the 75mm range will give me the lil bit extra focal length also.

Anyone experienced overlapping frames problem with the bessa? I also realised it can't meter at slow speed at high ISO.

This is really....

CACCAE08-1952-4996-B0C1-CE982259DD94-7398-000000E66C826994.jpg

BF8DD68D-3AC7-448A-8A88-3EF12E95015D-7398-000000E674AF5CCA.jpg

98C59292-931F-4E62-9945-437163C9125D-7398-000000E67CBB7938.jpg

Had that problem on my m6 once before, never happened again. Not sure why... maybe the film advance cogs are a bit worn.

Had that problem on my m6 once before, never happened again. Not sure why... maybe the film advance cogs are a bit worn.

Thanks. Chiff finally replied, awaiting response from the factory. Have to shoot with a Canonet for the time being because it sucks to have your photos gone to waste because of this issue. Have a god weekend, bro