Vista - Safe now for Photography?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is talking abt the initial incompatibility with raw files when changed the tagged data. After patching the system should be allright:) to play safe keep copies on DVD at the initial stage when not sure if properly patched.

I am using Vista and doing PP on it!

Vista has some issues with colour management... they are trying to implement a new colour management system based on Windows Color System as a replacement for the ICM based system...

the profiling software we use would load its profile made with the hardware profiling device on boot up but after a while Vista would take over the colour system and the profile loaded would be ignored... in other words, the monitors does not stay profiled... not very good for colour sensitive work...

Sorry but the question is ambiguous. Vista is an operating system. It includes a basic level software that allows you to arrange and publish photos. Minor editing is also included.

You can set your display settings in Vista the same way you set it in XP or any other OS.

I have used Vista for over a year (yes) and it is fine with photos. I've never tried to set WB, or make any significant edits to RAW or JPEG files with it... it is not designed to do that.

like I mentioned, Vista after a while discards the custom profile of a monitor made on a device such as a Spyder so the colours and brightness that you see on the monitor may not be "correct"...

thanks for the reply......

basically, i came across in the net that there is some incompatibility with raw files which Vista alter some information in the EXIF and some reported the files was corrupted.

Well, that was after few weeks when Vista was introduced in the market. Was it already been fix? that's my queries.....................

I believe the RAW issue is cleared up... have not been having any trouble with my NEF files... but like I said, the colour problem is there...

I'm unsure what you all mean by the colour problem, as I've calibrated my screen, and have no issues with using that profile, nor printing with it :)

I'm unsure what you all mean by the colour problem, as I've calibrated my screen, and have no issues with using that profile, nor printing with it :)
the problem is that Vista might at some moment in time pop in and ignore the custom colour profile of the monitor... here's one site that has reported and explained the problem...

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Vista's_New_Color_Management_System_-_WCS

ive never had to use such a crapp program as vista. buggy as hell, SLOOOOOOOOW like anything. within 5 days of trying it, computer was back at dealer getting downgrade to XP.

frankly, unless you really need it for direct x games, i would use xp.

Been using Vista @ CS3.. no problem... only issue is SPEED!!!! Vista hogs resources!

ive never had to use such a crapp program as vista. buggy as hell, SLOOOOOOOOW like anything. within 5 days of trying it, computer was back at dealer getting downgrade to XP.

frankly, unless you really need it for direct x games, i would use xp.

Hehe.....I wouldn't called it a downgrade as Vista was never an upgrade......:bsmilie:

Been using Vista @ CS3.. no problem... only issue is SPEED!!!! Vista hogs resources!

Hmm....then up your RAMs to 4GB lor.

If not, get a Vista 64bit which can run up to 32GB of RAMs?

If the OS is hogging the system speed is not a problem, then what is?

Hmm....then up your RAMs to 4GB lor.

If not, get a Vista 64bit which can run up to 32GB of RAMs?

If the OS is hogging the system speed is not a problem, then what is?
Notebook ler.. DELL, hv 2GB liaw... if go for 4, that means 2GBx2 and u know how expensive 2GB notebook RAMS are.

It cam ori with DELL, if u want, u will hv to reload your 'own copy' of XP, and later if you want, reload back the ori Vista into your comp. That is e advise of their customer svs. Going forward, it will be Vista, so, get the ori and wait lor.

Can live with the speed thus far... not a problem, dont really do PP that much

price of 2gb RAM sodimms for laptop now not too bad... worth it if you do a lot of photoshop work... buy it from Sim Lim and install yourself... you probably have to remove both your pieces of RAM to accomodate 2 pieces of 2gb... as well, make sure the motherboard of the laptop can take 4gb...

me, I have no prob with running CS3 on my almost 5yr old desktop with dual core Opteron (very old model...probably slower than some of the new laptop processors) and 4GB RAM, Vista 64... everything running smoothly... just the colour issue I mentioned earlier which I sort of work around by relaunching the Colorvision startup application everytime Vista decides to take over colour management...

Status
Not open for further replies.