Vintage Russian enlargers?

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
erm... before anyone says 'crap', 'not worth it', 'go for the best' etc... i know you are all probably right. :bsmilie:

but, i am thinking of trying my hand at basic printing of B&W film. so, while browsing ebay, i came across a couple of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/141529227209?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) on ebay from sellers that actually ships overseas. i am really quite bemused how come no one wants to ship enlargers overseas...

because i am limited by the size of my toilet sink top, i am tempted to get this portable set to try things out first as i am probably going to show my students in school how to do it too some time in the future. anyone in years gone by used these kind of portable enlargers before? specifically, i am wondering if the bulbs are generic and easily available locally (eg from Ruby), and if there is anything i need to do regarding the voltage? i have never done any printing before... so, apart from reading online, pardon the noobness.... :p

nice stuff there...

This enlarger is especially useful if you are planning to print oversea...
I mean, develop and print during an overseas trip.

Now a days, switching voltage transformers are so easily available... I don't think voltage conversion is a problem at all.

does it only takes 35mm film size ?

erm... before anyone says 'crap', 'not worth it', 'go for the best' etc... i know you are all probably right. :bsmilie:

but, i am thinking of trying my hand at basic printing of B&W film. so, while browsing ebay, i came across a couple of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/141529227209?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) on ebay from sellers that actually ships overseas. i am really quite bemused how come no one wants to ship enlargers overseas...

because i am limited by the size of my toilet sink top, i am tempted to get this portable set to try things out first as i am probably going to show my students in school how to do it too some time in the future. anyone in years gone by used these kind of portable enlargers before? specifically, i am wondering if the bulbs are generic and easily available locally (eg from Ruby), and if there is anything i need to do regarding the voltage? i have never done any printing before... so, apart from reading online, pardon the noobness.... :p

nice stuff there...

This enlarger is especially useful if you are planning to print oversea...
I mean, develop and print during an overseas trip.

Now a days, switching voltage transformers are so easily available... I don't think voltage conversion is a problem at all.

does it only takes 35mm film size ?

apparently, this ONLY takes 35mm. i read up more about such devices last nite. it looks like a cold war copy of the portable enlargers manufactured by companies like minox.

really limited information available on this enlarger. Maybe can ask the seller to show a photo of the bulb. my guess is it is using a tungsten bulb. Although I think tungsten bulb mount are pretty standard, either screw in or bayonet mount. For a 35mm enlarger, it is probably about 75W or so. They are usually frosted and has no lettering on the bottom.

Hopefully the lens mount is the standard M39 screw in mount. Then you can replace the lens with a better lens if it turns out to be too Russian.

really limited information available on this enlarger. Maybe can ask the seller to show a photo of the bulb. my guess is it is using a tungsten bulb. Although I think tungsten bulb mount are pretty standard, either screw in or bayonet mount. For a 35mm enlarger, it is probably about 75W or so. They are usually frosted and has no lettering on the bottom.

Hopefully the lens mount is the standard M39 screw in mount. Then you can replace the lens with a better lens if it turns out to be too Russian.

I read elsewhere that apparently they use M39 mount. There are plenty of russkie enlarger lens using M39 mount on sale on ebay... so i guess that the info maybe true?

Really feel like getting it just for the novelty factor... hahaha... low risk attempt to learn printing at home. :)

enlarging lens is not too much a problem.
Even if you don't buy enlarger lens, also can use those Leica M39 or voigtlander M39 mount lens as enlarger lens.

bulb wise... worst case, need to do a bit of a DIY for mounting.

I read elsewhere that apparently they use M39 mount. There are plenty of russkie enlarger lens using M39 mount on sale on ebay... so i guess that the info maybe true?
Really feel like getting it just for the novelty factor... hahaha... low risk attempt to learn printing at home. :)

it's written there :)

220 в = 220 Volt
50 Гц = 50 Hz
60 вт = 60 Watt

$Enl-UPA-725-pass.jpg

the only concern is to make sure the timer working. those pcb and electronic components inside, if spoilt then hard to find replacement.

220 в = 220 Volt
50 Гц = 50 Hz
60 вт = 60 Watt

View attachment 6318

the only concern is to make sure the timer working. those pcb and electronic components inside, if spoilt then hard to find replacement.

Thanks man! I was wondering what that label meant... heh...

so cool..... :cool:

220 в = 220 Volt
50 Гц = 50 Hz
60 вт = 60 Watt

View attachment 6318

hmmm...wonder whats the max print size for it given the short column height

we need Oceanpriest to go thru the manual and do the translation again for the answer. :thumbsup:

hmmm...wonder whats the max print size for it given the short column height

Ha..my guess is that if it is easily dismantled, you can twist it around the edge of the baseboard n project on the floor for a bigger image. Then again, toilets are tight spaces for making big prints.

thanks for the help, folks! i will hunt around some more and see if there are any other offers. :)