Viltrox EF to NEX smart adaptor (cheaper china metabones)

ricleo

Mar 13, 2004
Eastern Singapore
ha... i am so tempted by the A7 that i am now looking at smart EF to NEX adaptors to use my canon lenses on my intended future purchase of the A7 FE mount camera.

wonder if the viltrox will work on the FE mount, I guess if metabones work viltrox should too? any CSers/NEX users have experience with the viltrox on NEX to share in terms of usability and IS performance? AF should be just as poor as the metabones using contrast detection AF.

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Focus-Mo...=1382686066&sr=8-1&keywords=viltrox+ef+to+nex

51ohj3-AyPL._SL1500_.jpg

61eZXqEr8NL._SL1500_.jpg

61b9z4WSxeL._SL1500_.jpg

you're not the only one. I just sold off my 5D3 and pre-ordered the A7r and i still have all my Canon lenses since the A7 doesn't have many lenese so far.
I'm also not willing ot buy the metabones because well, it's only temporary..i'll be selling all the Canon lenses the moment Sony or Zeiss releases more lenses.
I was also looking at the Viltrox adapter..
I have the Viltrox EF to EOS M adapter so i'm guessing it's the same built. It works well with the EOS M although AF is even slower than it already is :) and sometime it won't even focus. i'm also guessing this will be the same issue with the Sony. Googling youtube reviews on this with the NEX, some have already seen the same issues of not able to AF.
Heck, even Metabones's own website says on their adapters, AF will be slow and not acceptable to most enthusiasts and definitely not to pros. So i am also not expecting this to work that well...but since it's temporary...i might just get it anyways..just hope the A7 can even recognise it :)

thanks for your input!

haha... I've already bought the viltrox on ebay and currently am awaiting delivery for the adaptor in about 1-2 weeks depending on HK airmail and singpost efficiency.

I think slow AF wouldn't be too much of a concern for me... IS would be useful to have though.

thanks for your input!

haha... I've already bought the viltrox on ebay and currently am awaiting delivery for the adaptor in about 1-2 weeks depending on HK airmail and singpost efficiency.

I think slow AF wouldn't be too much of a concern for me... IS would be useful to have though.

It's not the slow AF i'm worried about..it's the inability to focus at all.
Especially on certain lenses, the AF just fails completely and you have to MF.
Even on the EOS M with Canon Lenses..sometime the AF just hunts and hunts and doesn't stop..i have to MF.
I can't imagine EF to E mount..2 totally different companies :)
If canon and canon don't work that well together, i can't imagine Canon and Sony..
And IF the super expensive and original and updated Metabones 3 also has this issue...i have a feeling Viltrox will have more issues since it's NOT updated with firmware and it's NOT made for the A7 either..
It's because of that, i WILL wait for your review before i actually buy it hehe..Besides, i have no clue when the A7 will be available in SG now that the USA has been delayed..no point having the adapter before the camera.

well, my hope is that since it has been tested that the Metabones EF to NEX smart adaptors still work on the A7, the "reverse engineered" viltrox hopefully will still work! I don't need AF, just need the electronic aperture control and the IS where applicable :)

It's not the slow AF i'm worried about..it's the inability to focus at all.
Especially on certain lenses, the AF just fails completely and you have to MF.
Even on the EOS M with Canon Lenses..sometime the AF just hunts and hunts and doesn't stop..i have to MF.
I can't imagine EF to E mount..2 totally different companies :)
If canon and canon don't work that well together, i can't imagine Canon and Sony..
And IF the super expensive and original and updated Metabones 3 also has this issue...i have a feeling Viltrox will have more issues since it's NOT updated with firmware and it's NOT made for the A7 either..
It's because of that, i WILL wait for your review before i actually buy it hehe..Besides, i have no clue when the A7 will be available in SG now that the USA has been delayed..no point having the adapter before the camera.

In anticipation for the arrival of A7, I bought a used Nex 7 to start playing and getting used to Sony interface. I also got the Metabones Speed Booster to adapt all my current 12 EF lenses to the Nex 7. The Metabones adapter really lives up to its reputation. AF, despite the slow speed, is damn accurate. However, not all EF lenses can be used on the speed booster. AF even works with the TC 2x attached to EF70-200L f2.8 IS, which really surprised me. To share info, below are the list of EF-mount lenses that the AF & IS works on it and some which is not.

AF and IS working (if IS is applicable):
1. EF16-35L f2.8 II
2. EF100L f2.8 IS
3. EF70-200L f4 IS
4. EF70-200L f2.8 IS
5. EF35L f1.4

AF not working (need to focus peak)
1. EF50 f1.4
2. EF50 f1.8
3. Both my Sigma 35 f1.4 Art & 120-300 f2.8 OS Sport
4. All my EOS converted Contax N Zeiss lenses

*Looks like AF & IS only works with L lenses.

I am very happy with the Metabones Speed Booster as it allows all my EF mount lenses to be used on the Nex 7; to add to the E-mount lenses that I have : Zeiss 16-70mm and Zeiss 24mm.

If proved reliable, the Vitrox will be a viable option to get for the upcoming A7. Ric, I will be camping here for your reviews on the Vitrox.

Last edited:
wow bro... you got a NEX 7 and the speed booster just to get use to sony interface.

that's commitment! Do you happen to have a Leica M to NEX adaptor as well? I would like to meet u and try out my just purchased voigtlander 50mm F 1.1 :p

haha we haven't caught up to shoot with the 120-300 yet too!

In anticipation for the arrival of A7, I bought a used Nex 7 to start playing and getting used to Sony interface. I also got the Metabones Speed Booster to adapt all my current 12 EF lenses to the Nex 7. The Metabones adapter really lives up to its reputation. AF, despite the slow speed, is damn accurate. However, not all EF lenses can be used on the speed booster. AF even works with the TC 2x attached to EF70-200L f2.8 IS, which really surprised me. To share info, below are the list of EF-mount lenses that the AF & IS works on it and some which is not.

AF and IS working (if IS is applicable):
1. EF16-35L f2.8 II
2. EF100L f2.8
3. EF70-200L f4 IS
4. EF70-200L f2.8 IS

AF not working (need to focus peak)
1. EF50 f1.4
2. EF50 f1.8
3. Both my Sigma 35 f1.4 Art & 120-300 f2.8 OS Sport
4. All my EOS converted Contax N Zeiss lenses

*Looks like AF & IS only works with L lenses.

I am very happy with the Metabones Speed Booster as it allows all my EF mount lenses to be used on the Nex 7; to add to the E-mount lenses that I have : Zeiss 16-70mm and Zeiss 24mm.

If proved reliable, the Vitrox will be a viable option to get for the upcoming A7. Ric, I will be camping here for your reviews on the Vitrox.

Remember that the speed booster only works with the APSC NEX cameras

I have sold all my M-mount lenses when I gave up the M8 many months ago. So no more M lenses now.

Coming from using manual lenses on Canon DSLR (focuses with those Beep2 sound), I found focus peaking in the Nex is a breeze. I am enjoying the use of Contax N Zeiss lenses now and the Speed Booster gave almost the Full frame FOV with 1 stop advantage in the aperture. Now I am having an estimate of f1.0 for all my f1.4 lenses such as Contax N 50mm and 85mm and the Sigma 35mm. Even the 120-300mm Sigma got the discounted f2.

I am free on Saturday afternoon if you want to try out the Speed Booster.

wow bro... you got a NEX 7 and the speed booster just to get use to sony interface.

that's commitment! Do you happen to have a Leica M to NEX adaptor as well? I would like to meet u and try out my just purchased voigtlander 50mm F 1.1 :p

haha we haven't caught up to shoot with the 120-300 yet too!

Yes, I am aware of that. Well, if I finally decide to go for the A7, have to "create budget" for FF adapters. :)

Remember that the speed booster only works with the APSC NEX cameras

A7 / A7r not using the same menu interface as NEX 7.

Yes, I just got to know that after I bought the Nex 7. ::palmface:: LOL.

You can buy a used Alpha SLT to practice.

Alright! My viltrox adaptor just came in the mail.

Build quality seems good. Very solid and made of metal from what I can tell. Tried fitting on a ef lens and the fit is very tight and solid with no play. now need a nex body to test with the Ef lenses :)

Alright! My viltrox adaptor just came in the mail.

Build quality seems good. Very solid and made of metal from what I can tell. Tried fitting on a ef lens and the fit is very tight and solid with no play. now need a nex body to test with the Ef lenses :)

camping here for your review. Does it work with lenses without electronic contacts or lenses with electronic contacts that it does not recognise?

US$399 vs US$169. More than half the price difference. Mechanically advantage to Viltrox since it is much cheaper. Electronically, Metabone should have an edge since it is constantly being updated.

Is there any firmware update option for the Viltrox?

I can see myself using Canon lenses for another 2 years until there are more FE lenses. Is the US$230 difference worth the "warranty" of having firmware upgrade for the next 2 years?

Last edited:
camping here for your review. Does it work with lenses without electronic contacts or lenses with electronic contacts that it does not recognise?

US$399 vs US$169. More than half the price difference. Mechanically advantage to Viltrox since it is much cheaper. Electronically, Metabone should have an edge since it is constantly being updated.

Is there any firmware update option for the Viltrox?

I can see myself using Canon lenses for another 2 years until there are more FE lenses. Is the US$230 difference worth the "warranty" of having firmware upgrade for the next 2 years?

No firmware updste for the viltrox. Hehe you have a nex body to test with? We can meet up and try out. Price diff wise is even bigger. I got it for120 usd.

No firmware updste for the viltrox. Hehe you have a nex body to test with? We can meet up and try out. Price diff wise is even bigger. I got it for120 usd.

I don't have a NEX. The A7 not yet available :)

You sure know how to bargain with Amazon.com

Last edited:
Haha actually I got it on ebay. There are quite a number if sellers for this. I made a best offer to the seller and he accepted. Ok I decided to buy a nex c3 just to play with the adaptor and also test some manual rf lenses I am buying over he next week. Will update this thread.

Haha actually I got it on ebay. There are quite a number if sellers for this. I made a best offer to the seller and he accepted. Ok I decided to buy a nex c3 just to play with the adaptor and also test some manual rf lenses I am buying over he next week. Will update this thread.

Why not just wait for the A7 since the launch is less than 2 weeks away.