video recording and file size

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Since nowadays got high end video features on most of the cameras, we tend to use it more often. But the problem arises when it comes to storage as each clip could be almost a gigabyte especially when we use HD or 4K recording.

So how often do you shoot video, and subsequently how do you save them? Do you encounter storage space problem?

Just like the way i shoot photos.. important ones i shoot raw....less important I shoot Jpeg.... Invest in tons of HDDs every few years as it gets cheaper per 1gigabyte or terabyte. Use RAID to build a NAS. the most important of them all... be selective with what you want to keep. Try as much as possible to be discerning and keep only the best and relevant. Anything not up to par should be deleted. For example, if you took a series of the same photo or bracketing.... try as much as possible to keep just one or two. Be more discipline with what you keep or delete... do so, you also find that you will start to be more mindful when you first take the photos.

As for video,not everything needs to be in HD or worst 4K unless you are doing professional quality production work or you are that serious to explore the world of video production and editing. With all things relative, the better the quality material you want to product, the more you have to spend more.

So how often do you shoot video, and subsequently how do you save them? Do you encounter storage space problem?

Almost everyday... Some days more, some days less. Import into LR for cataloging, file gets copied into an external HDD for storage. Backup to another HDD once a month. Since you can get a seagate backup plus 4TB (4000GB) ext hdd for $200 (via amazon at least), that works out to a mere 5 cents/GB.