Vesak Day @ Bright Hill Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

West_ray

Feb 10, 2003
Yishun
galleries.photonx.org.
Taken at Bright Hill Temple on the eve of Vesak Day ...

Vesak3.JPG

Staff busy directing devotees ...

Vesak11.JPG

3 steps 1 bow ... commencing

Vesak2.JPG

half way through ...

Vesak10.JPG

on the way ...
Vesak12.JPG

quite a nice series, but i feel the event is better presented in colour than monotone :)

nice is nice, but did anyone (unhappy) with someone taking photos while praying???

compro_1975 said:
nice is nice, but did anyone (unhappy) with someone taking photos while praying???
yah some of them did faced away from the cam. However i tried not to use flash as much as possible.

nice series.. like the kneeling part and 2 worshippers worship to Buddha.

Pardon me for being confused. I would have thought Vesak Day was a Buddhist event; where do incense sticks come into the picture? I was under the impression that Buddhists do not burn incense sticks?

The festival celebrated with great ceremonial ritual by Buddhists is Vesak Day, which commemorates the birth and enlightenment of Buddha and his entry into Nirvana.

The day starts with chanting of the sutras by saffronclad monks, while devotees visit the temples to pray and meditate and to make offerings. Acts of generosity known as dana are observed by Buddhist organizations and temples. These include the freeing of caged birds and animals, visiting and giving alms to the poor and needy, while some Buddhist youths organize mass blood donation at hospitals. The celebration concludes with a candlelit procession through the streets. Observers as well as devotees are welcome to join in the celebration at Buddhist temples.

And when the word pray comes into the picture, i would always think of incense sticks to pai pai.:)

sehsuan said:
Pardon me for being confused. I would have thought Vesak Day was a Buddhist event; where do incense sticks come into the picture? I was under the impression that Buddhists do not burn incense sticks?

incense burning originate from god-worshippers of various other religions, the earliest Sangha do not promote such acts. given the fact that layman habits are not easily changed, the Buddhist doctrine expanded to include the act of incense burning (just like the inclusion of the making of Buddha images)

all offerings on an altar are carefully planned and imbued with deep meaning, they aid practitioners in their practice during prayers. sentient beings are unenlightened and thus not perfect beings, and need aid in their practice. the altar is the centre of focus during prayers to keep practitioners' concentration. prayers are made to be reminded of Buddha's teachings. the Buddha image is not a deity's idol image towards which devotees pray to, the Buddha image is a reminder of the kindness of Siddharta Guatama Buddha who spreaded the Dharma 2500++ years ago, and a reminder for all, that all beings have the potential to become enlightened. offerings of flowers are a reminder that all sentient beings go through the cycle of life and death. offerings of light, perfumed water and scented incense are symbolic of the goodness of the spreading of the Dharma. there are many more to Buddhism, if you are interested there are many Buddhist organisations out there willing to give you a thorough explanation. :)

I thought cameras are not allowed in temples... :dunno:

cameras are not allowed in some temples or events to prevent people from making use of the pictures to spread superstitious messages, or even make money in the process. thus if such signs are prominently displayed or temple attendants tell you not to take pictures, be respectful and follow :)

The only thing that I feel that does not work in the local context, would be the freeing of purchased animals from bird shops or terrapins. Most end up dying and fouling waters.

http://budak.blogs.com/the_annotated_budak/2005/05/please_dont_let.html

I volunteered last year to be one of those to request members of public not to do such things, thankfully at my position last year, there wasn't anyone who was going to do it. :)

Youhong said:
I thought cameras are not allowed in temples... :dunno:
not all temples allow photography, look out for signs, if not, ask permission if u're there for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.