Very true...


Status
Not open for further replies.

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#3
gooseberry said:
Much of it can be said of other job lines. The IT industry is a case in point.
You got that right.
 

#4
you try that at our local ad agencies and you get the door slam in your face and the tingle of electricity will zap your name off their boards...

they only believe that Foreign photogs are worth that much, local photogs (unless you are damn well known) can stand aside....

sad....
 

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,828
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
#5
SniperD said:
you try that at our local ad agencies and you get the door slam in your face and the tingle of electricity will zap your name off their boards...

they only believe that Foreign photogs are worth that much, local photogs (unless you are damn well known) can stand aside....

sad....
The cases here is he is approached no the other way around, and the point abt owning the copyrights.
 

#6
yeah.. but the main thing is that if you try that on a client (after all, clients usually call the photogs up) say.. "ohh.... let's see, how about SGD$9'000 a day for the shoot?"
*note: i din use SGD10,000 coz 9'000 looks daudting enuf.

You see what the client say.... unless you are talking about a really established agency or client that deals with such photography deals before... you can forget about the response and hear the hung-up dial tone next.
 

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,828
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
#7
SniperD said:
yeah.. but the main thing is that if you try that on a client (after all, clients usually call the photogs up) say.. "ohh.... let's see, how about SGD$9'000 a day for the shoot?"
*note: i din use SGD10,000 coz 9'000 looks daudting enuf.

You see what the client say.... unless you are talking about a really established agency or client that deals with such photography deals before... you can forget about the response and hear the hung-up dial tone next.
think you missing the whole pt here.... read again, don't be too hard up abt the monetary numbers, read the whole thing CAREFULLY not in between the lines.

Key Pt: Copyrights
 

adam72

New Member
Jun 11, 2004
93
0
0
45
behind tiong bahru plaza
#8
oeyvind said:
think you missing the whole pt here.... read again, don't be too hard up abt the monetary numbers, read the whole thing CAREFULLY not in between the lines.

Key Pt: Copyrights
ALL Photogs MUST retain full copyrights of their images, and it is especially the case here in singapore as the line is very thin & blur.

photogs shd only assign limited rights of use in the selected media only, and not to be used elsewhere. pricing is accordingly to the type of media used.

i was a newbie in photography biz b4 and sold my rights very low, which means my original negs were given to the client. regretted.... :cry:
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#9
Hi Tim!

Good article. Its true over here in Singapore that a lot are pricing low and not much care about copyright. Think its a good idea to have articles like this to help encourage new photographers about their worth. And also about some business sense. We are all artists here creating works of art with our modern tools.

Just look at the wedding market... already I have clients thinking market rate for a full day costs only $450 with prints, CDs and touch ups.... at the rate that we are going, full-time professional photogs will have a hard time trying to support a studio, the maintenance, the rentals and so on...

A promoter standing at comex and selliing cameras already earn $100 or more. And his work is finished after that without any "post processing" or sunk costs.

A photog shooting the whole day has to have all the equipment plus backup equipment, he needs years to gain experience, he needs to service his equipment, he needs to direct the shoot and then he does post processing, marketing and delivery. And if he owns a studio, he needs to pay rent.

Good article. ;)
 

Snowcrash

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,537
0
0
Western SG
Visit site
#10
SniperD said:
yeah.. but the main thing is that if you try that on a client (after all, clients usually call the photogs up) say.. "ohh.... let's see, how about SGD$9'000 a day for the shoot?"
*note: i din use SGD10,000 coz 9'000 looks daudting enuf.

You see what the client say.... unless you are talking about a really established agency or client that deals with such photography deals before... you can forget about the response and hear the hung-up dial tone next.
The amount is relative. I think the article is saying we need to do market research of the pricing. (The author based on experience thinks that $10,000 for that kind of shoot is consider low!).

Don't shortchange yourself. Change accordingly.

And yes, the point about copyrights.
 

akdwivedi

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2003
846
0
16
46
Singapore
Visit site
#11
SniperD said:
yeah.. but the main thing is that if you try that on a client (after all, clients usually call the photogs up) say.. "ohh.... let's see, how about SGD$9'000 a day for the shoot?"
*note: i din use SGD10,000 coz 9'000 looks daudting enuf.

You see what the client say.... unless you are talking about a really established agency or client that deals with such photography deals before... you can forget about the response and hear the hung-up dial tone next.
If you are associated to a established studio/agency, I am sure customers will pay for your work and experience.. If you have solid references, you can show them and justify your rates.. It's all about the brand and label you carry on you back.

More importantly, as the author mentions we need to take care of two things
-first own the rights to his pictures and
-second take the time to find out appropriate pricing for the images

Most of us do not even bother about copyrighting our work. And it's interesting to note that author talks about a pricing which seems very much like licensing the users to use the pictures. the customer could pay lifetime usage price or usage for 1 year or 2 years depending on their needs. It's interesting price regime..
 

AngKuGuay

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
65
0
0
Western Singapore
#12
des72 said:
ALL Photogs MUST retain full copyrights of their images, and it is especially the case here in singapore as the line is very thin & blur.

photogs shd only assign limited rights of use in the selected media only, and not to be used elsewhere. pricing is accordingly to the type of media used.

i was a newbie in photography biz b4 and sold my rights very low, which means my original negs were given to the client. regretted.... :cry:
I'm curious about this copyright issue. Take for example, the Army Open House Photgraphy competition, it was stated that all submitted entries become the property of them. Does it mean that I do not have any rights to it anymore?
 

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,828
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
#13
AngKuGuay said:
I'm curious about this copyright issue. Take for example, the Army Open House Photgraphy competition, it was stated that all submitted entries become the property of them. Does it mean that I do not have any rights to it anymore?
yes... if it;s stated so it means you transfered the rights, but then the AOH competition for entry you only submit all size images, not much usage other than web.
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#14
AngKuGuay said:
I'm curious about this copyright issue. Take for example, the Army Open House Photgraphy competition, it was stated that all submitted entries become the property of them. Does it mean that I do not have any rights to it anymore?
Yup! You gave up the rights by taking part. So they can use it on their publications etc etc... If you win, the reward is the Award and the prizes... ;)
 

AngKuGuay

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
65
0
0
Western Singapore
#15
oeyvind said:
yes... if it;s stated so it means you transfered the rights, but then the AOH competition for entry you only submit all size images, not much usage other than web.

True but then if yours is the winning entry, you would have to submit a higher quality one in CD rom format, guess they would want to print it or something...
 

AngKuGuay

New Member
Aug 30, 2004
65
0
0
Western Singapore
#16
Zplus said:
Yup! You gave up the rights by taking part. So they can use it on their publications etc etc... If you win, the reward is the Award and the prizes... ;)

Humour me on this okay? But how do I achieve 'fame' other than takng part in such competitions? But by joining such competitions means I no longer have rights to it, then what now?


hehe
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#17
AngKuGuay said:
Humour me on this okay? But how do I achieve 'fame' other than takng part in such competitions? But by joining such competitions means I no longer have rights to it, then what now?
hehe
Its like chicken and egg right? Well, Ansel Adams didn't, Wee Khim didn't.... come to think about it.... most of em didn't. ;)

I'm not saying these competitions are no good... just that you have to read the clauses and decide if you wanna give up some rights to have a chance to win. Winning does not equate to getting fame. ;p
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom