Very nice bike race photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Stylus C34
Er.. I think togu's "why bother?" is not asking why Jeff is posting in this post, sounds more like asking "Why bother to explains so much" Not sure if I'm wrong. :)

Heh, thanks for the clarification. Welcome to Clubsnap! Join us at Seed if you have the time, it's this wednesday. :gbounce:

Partially right, my initial thoughts were why bother to explain so much since everyone knows that he is quiting photography.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28522&highlight=10D

Originally posted by sehsuan
[ i'm in the *learning* stage now

Are not we all at the learning stage too? I don't think we can ever stop learning. The more you learn, the more you realise that there are so many things that you don't know.

thank you for raising that point, hori.

personally, i hope to get some improvement in my sports shooting - most importantly, i have to figure out the focus part... ;)

despite my lack of understanding of fundamentals - i still *feel* (because i have a heart) and i believe that capturing the moment with whatever skiils i have (or whatever skills i lack) at the moment is still necessary. i am very glad to receive one email, from this father who would like to get prints of his two sons - on their very FIRST time taking part in this mountainbike championships. i am glad to be able to at least have shots of his two sons, though i have no prior understanding who was who's son - but by the sheer fact that i cover the action as it unfolds.

a lot of you may choose to strongly disagree, but personally, i think P&S still has its charms - commoners like me, who don't really know the difference from a slr to medium format, would be contented with a few overexposed photographs from any day at any tourist resort, rather than having none because somebody decided to kill the fun of it by asking people to pose, or wait for him/her to compose slowly and manipulate them. this is also why i'm into street photography, for those who've seen my prior streetscene shots.

personally, i admit i dont read too much about composition - why? because to me, for my slow reaction speed, if i think about composition, *the* moment that i so much wanted to capture is gone. it's similar that pro photogs have "keepers" and discarded shots - why? why not only one single shot? surely, there must be a reason, don't you think so?

Dude again is either u r misleaded into believing there is such a thing call 100% keepers or u are just indirectly pulling a fast 1 out here. I believe you have been around long enough to know the answer so i believe u dun have to ask me for it as you aldy knows the answer veri well. I didnt say abt 100% keeper for a start as i onli mention tat shots tat is out should stay out tats all cos you are not doing justice to your subject.

yes not doubt you are a newbie and every1 here is still learning i, myself has onli done this hobby 4 less then a year and today is oso my 1st time doing panning shots and i can say i do bother abt other people's feedback and pointers tat i dare to say i have improved over this period of time. A special thanks to all tat has contributed 1 way or another but then again what abt u?? I think it is time 4 your to stop using excuses like you are new and still learning cos eveyone here is oso doing tat. I have many crap shots as well in the past and even now but do i go around finding excuses 4 not doing the job rite?? If u wan 2 do a job dun just do 4 the sake of doing it make sure u do a gd job out of it.

Then again i think you shouldnt try not to mislead others if you are a newbie cos you may do more damage to others if they listen to you if you are passing misleaded information for eg like your 10D better than my D1X. And in all honestly have you ever tot abt y my D1X is like 2X in price compare then your 10D? The reason is the Focusing rocks mayb you can try getting your hand on a D1X then it could solve your focusing problem?? I 4 once is glad i didnt sell my D1X to buy a 10D cos tat will b the dumbest thing if i do tat to give up a pro body and go 4 something less.

PS: if u take it with a pinch of salt u will realise tat wat i am saying is think or find out the correct info b4 you pass comment dun keeping misleading others with your misleaded info or your own theory.

jeff, the section about commitment, i have made a grieve mistake, i admit it. what i was worked up was that cherlyn made a remark that sounds like she had to go through 16 pages of compulsory visual torture of my photos. i should have explained earlier, the photos, good or not good, are meant for the competitiors, even better if other bikers like them too. because in the end, it's myself i'm trying to satisfy - i'm not shooting professionally.
It sounds like you're backtracking.. your reply to cherlyn was that of a tone that scoffed her comments and character despite the truth in them.

i don't *need* praises, though they can be a nice thing. all i ever wanted is to share my viewpoint of the world through my eyes - no two people can ever, ever think exactly alike, but there only exist similiarities.
Oh, but I do believe you certainly want them. I can't be bothered to dig out the posts, but normally criticism in areas where you didn't expect to be criticised, or in areas where you think you did ok, are normally met with not so nice comments from you. See cherlyn's post as an example.

that's exactly why i didn't want to start off with film, because i would have missed more stuff that i would like to. like it or not, the human learning process involves making mistakes as part of the process.
Ah, another one. As with a lot of mistaken people you believe that getting as many shots as possible is the way to improve. Sadly, that is not the case. After all, using a medium that doesn't force you to think, how is one going to improve?

personally, i admit i dont read too much about composition - why? because to me, for my slow reaction speed, if i think about composition, *the* moment that i so much wanted to capture is gone. it's similar that pro photogs have "keepers" and discarded shots - why? why not only one single shot? surely, there must be a reason, don't you think so?
Because they have a lot higher standards; I expect perfection from a pro. Also pros work with different constraints, in addition to churning out quality pics they also need to see what demands they have to fufill.

i do indeed appreciate feedback, since that is the logical way that people learn, by social interactions - but i see clubsnap as a place where people share the common interest of photography, not just solely nitpicking.
It's more like you appreciate the feedback you WANT to hear.

I've stressed this before, I don't have a problem with your technique, I have a problem with your attitude.

The attitude that feels that his dad owes him something. And throws a tantrum only seen from 6 year olds or less, in a public forum at that.

The attitude that demands a DSLR before photography can be done, or a really expensive bicycle for cycling.

The attitude that tells off people who are better than you and whom you should have respect for in an attempt to look good, win respect, attract attention, feed ego, whatever.

The attitude of sucking up to people which is so sick and transparent that I can't stand it. Really.

The attitude wanting attention so you quit, come back, quit, come back, ad infinitium ad nasuem (you do that in real life too, that's the really bizzare part).

The attitude of wanting recognition that you make a small fuss that your name wasn't included in a list of thank-yous.

The attitude of forever offering excuses for your actions (not just photography).

The attitude of having what I call selective feedback; you can't take feedback that is out of your comfort zone. Such feedback is met with a derison normally reserved when people badmouth one's own parents (whoops, wait, you do that to your own parents, darn, bad example).

The attitude of wanting to boss the newbies around to feed your ego; face it, you ain't got the experience, the skill, nor the right attitude for it. Especially the attitude part.

The attitude that, well, read for yourself folks: [22:33] [sehzworx] unless the cherlyn on CS and TGP are the one and same person.... but i dont bother with a small P&S :) This from the same person who admits to using a $3000 camera setup as a P&S. At least other people aren't prententious; they get a P&S to use it as a P&S.

Finally, the attitude that shows no want of change despite many flamewars erupting over you. Ever thought why they follow you around?

Hi sehsuan,

i think u have been lucky, most members who read abt ur "problems" gave u words of encouragement...

although there are those with harsher words for u, i guess u cant really blame them afterall, u posted on the net to show what kind of a person u are n that i think is not well received by the public.

I went to the tgp webby n took some time to read thru the threads, (ok, i was feeling free n kpo) and it did occur to me that u seem to be in a situation as tho u are a public enemy....

Ever gave a thought abt ur actions? or rather ur attitude?

For example, u infringed the other forums house rules...den bad mouthed whoever's nt on ur side and simply said u wun be going/posting on that forum anymore......

I think the matter would have been better handled since u are in the wrong, with just a word of sorry, rather than challange the "authorities" so to spk.

PS: If there's oni one or a few who has issues with u, im sure the rest have eyes to see. But it seems to be quite a lot of pple. So its pretty obvious.

U can choose to ignore or reply in an anguish tone....but only u urself know whether the probs lies in u or not.

Sehsaun... see what happened? :rolleyes:

The whole point of my post earlier was to point out what would happen if you shot yourself off and then later apologise. You have a penchant for doing that and so far, it has only got you nothing but derision, flames and basically trouble. In fact this isn't the first time and no, i wasn't looking for a "curt and formal" reply. You've already seen what a "curt and formal".

I did remind you. Do not take it so personally. You seem to take it very badly when someone says something and only after that, upon your reflection, you start thinking, oh, maybe i should have done so this way, or should have said things differently.

If you still continue to be so defensive and come out with all guns blazing everything someone has a valid go at you, then you yourself know how far you will go. But if you don't and need someone to point that out, then i can honestly tell you, not too far.

Stop making excuses and i mean this in the kindest possible way.

This forum is not a place where people come, stare at your shots and masturbate your ego. Intellectual and ego masturbation isn't going to take you too far.

Now, stick your eyes back into the viewfinder and keep practising.

Personally I like this style of photos ,
a joy to look at compositionally, and also something
worth paying for if I were the bikers captured on film/digital.

Composition packs the punch that is not seen in grab shots.
That, together with focus and exposure, makes the photo
worth the $$ (which keeps a photographer shooting).;)

Keep at it, Seh, you'll get there... hopefully without annoying too many people out there who genuinely want to see you improve your skill.:D

regards,
argent2

P.S. All of the above comment is solely of my own opinion and is not meant for flaming purposes - if in doubt, meet up in person
and i can repeat the above with a courteous smile.;)

Nitpicking?? :p

Now now, who's nitpicking? Quoting your exact words in your very first message to Cherlyn on irc,

[22:38] <sehzworx> called you, told me yourself you're busy and hung up. so much for trying to make sure you get your carpass
[22:38] <sehzworx> next time walk in instead

Hence come the harsh words when she commented on your gallery. :nono:

Anyway, out of good will, I had already reminded her NOT to hung up your phone on your next call. Don't bother to thank me for that tho.

:)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Now, stick your eyes back into the viewfinder and keep practising.

... with the right mentality, and attitude.

:)

Yo Sehsuan,

Glad you captured that special moment for that proud father. I'm sure you'll continue to do so for bikers. Keep at it yeah? I think you identified a niche market. As you improve I'm sure more will want prints from you.

As a friend I got to tell you this, sometimes I look at some of your replies and I wished you didn't say those things. You're an alright guy in person but you seem to have terrible online karma...

Take a listen to the people here. They mean well. They're loads nicer than some of the guys on TGP.

YSLee sums up why you're the guy they all love to hate.

Take it in your stride, but do try to do something about it.

Eh...
Anybody care to teach me how to take pictures like that? Capture the subject, but the background is blurred?
Not ralley DOF, but capture the "movement"

Originally posted by markccm
Eh...
Anybody care to teach me how to take pictures like that? Capture the subject, but the background is blurred?
Not ralley DOF, but capture the "movement"

Try this on the side of the road.

Wait for a moving car, pre-focus on it, set you shutter right, not too fast. Half press your shutter and move your camera together with the moving car, when it's in frame, snap!

About there, I think. Gotta ask the real experts for details. :)

And follow through.. if you stop while the exposure is being recorded you'll get a blurry subject.

Set camera AF to continuos/AI Servo (for Canon)....
If using flash use rear Synch if Shutter speed drop below 1/100S to prevent blur on my subject.

Next thing adjust your timing.....this need practice, I also still often make mistake by pressing to early or too late. The chance is only 3 shoots for my camera, at least I am hoping got one sharp shoot from series of 3.

Hope this helps.......

looks like someone is a flamebait everywhere he posts :p

me read frm 1 of the bookz in the library that, for panning shotz, u should set ur shutter speed to agar agar the speed of the subject .....

but me never go n try b4 ..... ;p

:D

Thanks guys.

Just to confirm I got it right.
Ensure you have a pretty fast shutter speed, focus (fire button half depressed) on the moving subject, follow through (camera set to continuous fire), shoot while still following the subject.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.