Vehicle in Yellow Box - Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahah shucks.... so there's still no clear conclusion to this case... ;)
If the yellow box covered all 3 lanes of Bt Timah Road, then I would conclude that logically, the yellow box is designed for the minor road to join the major road.
But because it excludes the right lane, i conclude that it's to allow the vehicle from the minor road to cross over to the extreme right lane in order to turn right, something like this
YellowBox.jpg

Last edited:
If the yellow box covered all 3 lanes of Bt Timah Road, then I would conclude that logically, the yellow box is designed for the minor road to join the major road.
But because it excludes the right lane, i conclude that it's to allow the vehicle from the minor road to cross over to the extreme right lane in order to turn right, something like this
YellowBox.jpg

I think the only way you can get the answer to your query, is to send this diagram together with an email to TP.

My view of the placement of this yellow box is based on two things:

a) I've been taught it's for vehicles to join the mainstream traffic, whenever traffic is stationary (whether due to jam or red light).

b) It makes perfect sense regardless of which lane the vehicle is headed to.

In your opinion, since the box is ONLY designed for vehicles to join the lane furthest from Balmoral Plaza exit, then what about vehicles who need to turn left on Balmoral Road heading towards Stevens Road? Surely that must have crossed your mind when the comfort cab only went as far as to join the left most lane.

Since you've suggested that we put morals aside (which i personally feel that are more important than traffic rules), i'd like to ask you to consider putting the traffic rules aside now, and consider the circumstances with nothing more than simple logic.

Actually, I take a different position. Because the yellow box intentionally excludes the right lane, it means that it is intended to only allow the minor road to join the main road's two left-most lanes.

If it is to allow the minor road persont o join the right most lane, there could be a time where the minor road person gets stuck in the yellow box for a significantly long period of time (say if hte right most lane does not let up in traffic).

he then obstructs the centre lane main road flow and hence, will cause an obstruction.

Hence, it is not intended to workt he way you said it does.

YellowBox.jpg

Yup I agree with your assesment as well... which is why it's frustrating that there's no clear indication of the law's stand on this matter... hahaha...

The whole sequence of events probably started with cars on the major road not giving way, thus the LTA starts painting yellow boxes literally everywhere. Now everyone's confused.
I'm not trying to be a nasty fella here, and deny the minor road guys a chance to join the main traffic. Just wanted some clarity on this matter, that's all...

cheers! Thanks to you guys for sharing your points! :)

Well, that's often the case. Law makers are either stupid or intentionally making it vague so that they can go any way they want (selective enforcement :p)

Anyway to me, the yellow box is meant for the minor road guy to join in, and hence, I'll read the rules purposively to fulfil this aim. If the minor road guy cannot stay in the yellow box, then might as well just not have it :).

Yup I agree with your assesment as well... which is why it's frustrating that there's no clear indication of the law's stand on this matter... hahaha...

The whole sequence of events probably started with cars on the major road not giving way, thus the LTA starts painting yellow boxes literally everywhere. Now everyone's confused.
I'm not trying to be a nasty fella here, and deny the minor road guys a chance to join the main traffic. Just wanted some clarity on this matter, that's all...

cheers! Thanks to you guys for sharing your points! :)

vince... you seem to know your legal stuff well.

why don't you write in to the Traffic Police Enforcement division (or whoever it is that does their enforcements and interpretations) to see what their take on it is? given that you have knowledge of the statutory law, it would allow for a better analysis of the situation, and thus give motorists like myself a clearer understanding of what the heck is going on (you know. I want to be right when I'm yelling at the asinine moron who is blocking my yellow box when I think I have the right of way, when it may not be the case and therefore I end up being the asinine moron!).

Hehe, maybe when I have the time I will. But I do know that Govt agencies often shy from giving an interpretation of the law. You can try also mah :)

vince... you seem to know your legal stuff well.

why don't you write in to the Traffic Police Enforcement division (or whoever it is that does their enforcements and interpretations) to see what their take on it is? given that you have knowledge of the statutory law, it would allow for a better analysis of the situation, and thus give motorists like myself a clearer understanding of what the heck is going on (you know. I want to be right when I'm yelling at the asinine moron who is blocking my yellow box when I think I have the right of way, when it may not be the case and therefore I end up being the asinine moron!).

i don't have much faith with our driving instructors... :)

I think the only way to conclude this matter is to write to the police. I shall send an email to Traffic Police, with my original photo, and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.