vacumm cleaner

ohok1973

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone ever tried using vacumm cleaner to suck out the dust in the sensor with the aid of a blower.

Read somewhere that blower only helps in removing the dust from the sensor, it doesnt help it removing it out of the cam. So just thinking if vacumm cleaner can be used.

Of course not to the extend of fixing the whole tube into the sensor area, maybe 5 cm away and start sucking?

just thinking ok just thinking;p

sounds like a good method. the trick is able to on and off the vacuum suction the moment after you've applied the blower.
but if you bring the suction 5cm from the mount, it will also bring dust around the air towards the mount before (if not stuck to anywhere else inside the camera) going into the suction tube.

but it's a creative method indeed!

Did think about it before ... till another CS member informed me of someone's shutter getting ripped out via the vacuum cleaner method! :bsmilie:

Did think about it before ... till another CS member informed me of someone's shutter getting ripped out via the vacuum cleaner method! :bsmilie:

Oh my goodness... Seriously??

:bigeyes::bsmilie: did ponder tat option as well.. nw i noe its not feasible..lolz

How about the smaller handheld ones? Hmm.......

maybe he did not consider the strength of the vacumm and placed to closed into the "hole":embrass:

Pay the 20$ to get it cleaned is all I can recommmend.

Anyone ever tried using vacumm cleaner to suck out the dust in the sensor with the aid of a blower.

Read somewhere that blower only helps in removing the dust from the sensor, it doesnt help it removing it out of the cam. So just thinking if vacumm cleaner can be used.

Of course not to the extend of fixing the whole tube into the sensor area, maybe 5 cm away and start sucking?

just thinking ok just thinking;p

what i do is i use a handheld 15v vacuum cleaner connect to a straw (mcdonalds) and at the end of straw, pierce it through a cardboard of 10cm by 10cm to cover the camera hole. The purpose of the cardboard is to ensure air-tight so that you will suck up the air + dust from the sensor first.

I use a 1500w vacuum cleaner for my camera and lenses all the time.

Never had worries about anything coming out.

i tried once before using a usb powered vacuum cleaner to suck out a small speck of dirt from the sensor... so far my camera is still alive :) Not for the faint hearted though

Yeah, I was thinking more of the industrial one I have. :bsmilie:

Actually, air-borne particles are not so much a problem as they can be quite easily blown out. It's the static that causes clinging, and not all particles are dry dust so those babies gets the wet treatment. Quite straightforward.

wheres e best place to get it cleaned?

For me? DIY.

If not, respective agents' service center, but always bring a lappy and check carefully after cleaning. Usually, it takes several rounds of cleaning to get to useably clean.

Doing household cleaning with vacuum would tell you suction power of a 1200W vacuum.

Leave a 2cm or more gap (depending on watt) between suction tube and the mount.
Put the tube inside your palm so that your index finger and thumb is controlling the distance, still leaving a gap between the mount.

If you pop the suction tube into the lens mount, the camera gut will sure come out.

If you pop the suction tube into the lens mount, the camera gut will sure come out.

very expensive repair...AA/IR filter & sensor can be damaged and the mirror/focus screen may get dislodged/scratched too

or hasta la vista baby...

Last edited:
Just bring it to the service centre for sensor cleaning for a small fee.. why go through all the hassle ?

hmmm... I dunno if i am right. But jus trying to share some stuff.. lets say u guys are using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dust. And by placing the 'sucker' at the mount area, is it trying to create a negative airflow around the mount area. And those the surrounding air carrying dust will den get into ur sensor again? I dunno if what i am saying is correct. Thats why a blower is used. When u pump it, u actually create positive airflow. Thus blowing out the dust that is in the sensor. Dunno if any one understand what i am trying to say HAHA

The main advantage of the household vacuum cleaner is with the brush nozzle, it will keep you bag, camera, flash and lens exterior very clean. Say goodbye to the rocket blower.