UWA : Tamron 10-24 or Sigma 10-20?

epileatheral

Dec 4, 2008
I'm thinking of getting an ultrawide angle. Pentax 12-24 is not within my reach, so I have this two to choose from. Which would be a better buy?

For me, Image Quality would be a more important aspect for me.

Didn't have either . but read that the sigma 10-20 is much better then the tamron one .

Don't know much about the Tamron, but the Sigma is supposed to be sharper than the Pentax. There is a used Pentax 12-24 in the classifieds that is going for about the same price as a new Sigma. It's slower and is 2mm longer. The famous Tamron is the 11-16 F2.8 if you like the brand. Also consider the Sigma 8-16 but you may have to import it.

first of all, pentax 12-24 has the advantage of being light and small, so it's easier to carry around.
and yes, the sigma 10-20 can be better than the pentax, provided u can find a good copy, or after u've gone down to sigma and have it calibrated..
tamron 10-24 is one of the worst UWA among these choices..
many good things have been heard from users of the new sigma 8-16, but since the pentax is out of reach for u, i dont think u'll wanna know more about it

I've just read the review at Dpreview... it seems that they mentioned that Tamron has better image quality compared to Sigma. Sigma's barrel distortion is very bad and not suitable for architecture photography. Man.. reading this makes me so confused... By the way, Sigma 8-16, is that a fisheye lens?

From DPreview;
Comparison to other wideangle zooms we've tested recently suggests the Sigma's class-leading days may be numbered. On APS-C, it simply can't match the biting central sharpness of the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di-II in the 10-18mm range

Thanks for recommending the 8-16. I saw it available in Malaysia online stores at RM2600.

I've just read the review at Dpreview... it seems that they mentioned that Tamron has better image quality compared to Sigma. Sigma's barrel distortion is very bad and not suitable for architecture photography. Man.. reading this makes me so confused... By the way, Sigma 8-16, is that a fisheye lens?

Nope . It's not a fish eye . But if I am not wrong , that lens can't put any filter on it

i read from a mag review that sigma 10-20 is supposedly better than pentax 12-24 and is the best valued UWA for pentax..but then again i have a pentax 12-24 and I hv no complaints

I think for UWA..not sure whether do you really need a fast lens e.g. f3.5 because most of the times..you will be shooting ard f8 (or at least for my case)

10-20 is a decent lens if you get a good copy.
Can't comment on the Tamron, since I don't have it and never seen it.
DA12-24 is smaller and the 24mm end is better for general use.
Also consider the DA15. The small size is a vast advantage. The only reason I leave it at home is when I feel I need to rotate my lens usage ;)

Some of the negative comments on the Sigma 10-20 refer to the F4-5.6 version which was launched around 2005. The new one launched in 2009 is better and constant F3.5

first of all, pentax 12-24 has the advantage of being light and small, so it's easier to carry

The Pentax 12-24 is almost exactly the same dimensions of the Sigma 10-20, but is lighter. The Sigma has internal focussing whereas the Pentax relies on the screw drive

The Pentax 12-24 is almost exactly the same dimensions of the Sigma 10-20, but is lighter. The Sigma has internal focussing whereas the Pentax relies on the screw drive

Bro, I think you mix up HSM with Internal focusing.
HSM is a built in motor inside the lens, internal focusing is the arragement of lenses inside the lens assembly. :)

Anyway, sigma 10-20 is a good if you fixed on architectural and landscape. but DA 12-24 is better if you walkaround most of the time.
Pentax 12-24 is internal focusing in fact, it's indicated in the lens designation... Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 AL ED [IF]

TS. I would agree, DA 12-24 is much sharper than 10-20 especially on image corners. :)

Last edited:
Bro, I think you mix up HSM with Internal focusing.
HSM is a built in motor inside the lens, internal focusing is the arragement of lenses inside the lens assembly. :)

I stand corrected

I have the tamron 10-24. Here are a few pics for you to decide on.

IMGP0370.jpg

IMGP0267.jpg

Don't i put in this comparison Pentax 12-24 and Samsung 12-24.
Any difference between these 2 lenses?

Don't i put in this comparison Pentax 12-24 and Samsung 12-24.
Any difference between these 2 lenses?

they're both made by Hoya, probably in the same vietnam factory... the samsung one is simply a re-badged DA12-24.

in terms of construction and optics, they are the same. only that the samsung one is blue and the pentax one is green.

some say the lens coating is a slightly different colour? :dunno:

AFAIK, schneider-kreuznach simply licenses their brand-name for the samsung range of k-mount lenses provided they are made to certain specifications ;)