UV/IR Cut Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongsan

Oct 20, 2009
probably a noob question:

Does a UV/IR cut filter affect pictures taken on color film and B&W film?
Thinking of swapping lens between the M8.2 and M7 without removing the uv/ir filter.

Thanks!

Should not be a problem since colour film spectral sensitivity is only in the visible spectrum. For B&W film, I read it even gives sharper images due to IR being cut off by filter. I am using the filter on film body also. So long you dont use very wide lens is ok.

Should not be a problem since colour film spectral sensitivity is only in the visible spectrum. For B&W film, I read it even gives sharper images due to IR being cut off by filter. I am using the filter on film body also. So long you dont use very wide lens is ok.

Thanks!
Did a test today on colour film...no problem.

Will try out B&W next week.

i did remember reading somewhere on another forum (RFF maybe?) sometime back, that on the wides, you will get the same kind of cyan shift on colour film. not sure how true it is.

your test was conducted on wht focal length?

i did remember reading somewhere on another forum (RFF maybe?) sometime back, that on the wides, you will get the same kind of cyan shift on colour film. not sure how true it is.

your test was conducted on wht focal length?

I was using 50mm|M6 TTL|Lucky200.
After you mentioned it, I think i can see some cyan shift...or is it just a placebo effect :)

#1: Without UV/IR filter
20100116-F1000031.jpg

#2: With UV/IR filter
20100116-F1000032.jpg

Since thread on UV/IR is open, may I check with the pro here..

Is there a way to fix the Purple Black using some very simple mac software? Meaning photos alreay taken without UV/IR on a M8, the blacks turn purple, so any fix for this? If this is discussed in CS before, can you send me the link? Thank You!

wongsan: eh.. well.. the colours do look slightly different between #1 and #2. but then again, you had shifted slightly, and also the light may have changed. so this real world test might not be a good indicator... that being said, without #1 to compare... i would be pretty ok with #2.

i personally also shot a roll with a uvir filter on a 50mm (on the way by the way thing, just to test out an M3 i got recently... thanks eamesboy!), looks ok to me.

will try out a few with a 21mm and uvir if i have the time.

Shoot wide angle 28mm and below and look at the edges.

Thanks...
No more UV/IR problem for me...sold the M8.2 already :)

wongsan: eh.. well.. the colours do look slightly different between #1 and #2. but then again, you had shifted slightly, and also the light may have changed. so this real world test might not be a good indicator... that being said, without #1 to compare... i would be pretty ok with #2.

i personally also shot a roll with a uvir filter on a 50mm (on the way by the way thing, just to test out an M3 i got recently... thanks eamesboy!), looks ok to me.

will try out a few with a 21mm and uvir if i have the time.

I'm starting to feel left out in the group.. Hahaha..

earl: if there was an easy PS fix, i don't think anybody would be spending the hundreds (back then) on the uvir filters to begin with yeah? heh. i read on RFF there were some basic fixes.. but the results were less than satisfactory.

I'm getting myself out of this world of purple very very soon..... hehehe..

Aha, so anybody can confirm the presence of cyan fringe if the uv ir filter is left on the 35mm lens for film? Planning to get an M8 soon, with the amount of people unloading due to M9.

Status
Not open for further replies.