UV and ND filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
UV filter or Ultra Violet filter, as the name suggests reduce the UV-rays from entering the lens.
It is popularly used as a protective filter of sorts to protect the lens from dirt and scratches as it is "neutral" and does not alter the light coming in.

ND filter or Neutral Density filter, works a bit like a sunglass for the lens, by cutting down on the light entering the lens so as to allow the camera to shoot a bright scene with a slower shutter speed, which would otherwise produce an over-exposed result.

For example shooting a waterfall in bright light, will result in the picture of the flowing water being "freeze" by the camera.
With a ND filter and slower shutter speed, the picture of the flowing water would be "softer".

This is what I know, Experts out there, please feel free to correct my understanding if I have misunderstood and gave the wrong answers.

:p

ya, right information though might not be so techically inclined and detailed. But this is the minimum one should know in order to use these filters.
Originally posted by Winston
UV filter or Ultra Violet filter, as the name suggests reduce the UV-rays from entering the lens.
It is popularly used as a protective filter of sorts to protect the lens from dirt and scratches as it is "neutral" and does not alter the light coming in.

ND filter or Neutral Density filter, works a bit like a sunglass for the lens, by cutting down on the light entering the lens so as to allow the camera to shoot a bright scene with a slower shutter speed, which would otherwise produce an over-exposed result.

For example shooting a waterfall in bright light, will result in the picture of the flowing water being "freeze" by the camera.
With a ND filter and slower shutter speed, the picture of the flowing water would be "softer".

This is what I know, Experts out there, please feel free to correct my understanding if I have misunderstood and gave the wrong answers.

:p
;p

Originally posted by Winston

Thanks for the note. Is it a essential item or something good to have ?? :)

As quoted from winston "It is popularly used as a protective filter of sorts to protect the lens from dirt and scratches as it is "neutral" and does not alter the light coming in."

So the UV filter is good to have to protect your lens. Get those single-coated or multi-coated ones.
As for ND Filter, one of the common uses is to take those "silky feeling" waterfalls etc.

Originally posted by ongbenghui
Thanks for the note. Is it a essential item or something good to have ?? :)

Originally posted by meng
As quoted from winston "It is popularly used as a protective filter of sorts to protect the lens from dirt and scratches as it is "neutral" and does not alter the light coming in."

So the UV filter is good to have to protect your lens. Get those single-coated or multi-coated ones.
As for ND Filter, one of the common uses is to take those "silky feeling" waterfalls etc.

Many Thanks for the quick reply. I just got a G3 and it seems to have a in built ND filter function. :)

yups, read about that too.
have fun with the G3!
Originally posted by ongbenghui
Many Thanks for the quick reply. I just got a G3 and it seems to have a in built ND filter function. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.