Using uncooked rice to absorb moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckard

Oct 13, 2006
hi! heard from a friend that i can actually use uncooked rice to absorb moisture. :D anybody tried it before? no need to use silica gel! :D

hi! heard from a friend that i can actually use uncooked rice to absorb moisture. :D anybody tried it before? no need to use silica gel! :D

I know!! ya friend loh.

Tats an new idea. I doubt the colour of the rice will change much. Too high a risk. :think:
Can also check da 'spirits' got kah chiao ya equipment hoh. :bsmilie:

hmmm...what if the rice doesnt absorb moisture n u happen to bring in some fungal spores along with your rice grains...sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!
It may well work....but I don't tink u would want to experiment with your equipment!
I mean, your camera/lenses/accessories is worth a small investment in silica gel, or better yet, a dry cabi.

There's something called “米虫” not sure what the english name is. Basically it feeds on grain. So unless you wanna risk funny infestations :dunno: silica gel isn't that expensive and is resuable. Grain is food and don't waste it like that.

Well restaurants here put rice in their salt shakers to absorb moisture.

There's something called “米虫” not sure what the english name is. Basically it feeds on grain. So unless you wanna risk funny infestations :dunno: silica gel isn't that expensive and is resuable. Grain is food and don't waste it like that.

Weevil?

Well restaurants here put rice in their salt shakers to absorb moisture.
that's true because I rather see grain in my salt and even if it accidentally falls into my food I'll be gald I'm eating grain than silica gel...

I don't think rice absorb any significant amount of moisture.

They add rice to salt shaker to increase the shaking effect and to break up salt clumps. I don't think it's for moisture absorption.

Come on guys... be sensible lah.
$5 can get you one big bottle of silica gel, that can probably last you a lifetime if you use it properly. Why bother with all these dubious methods?

i know coffee beans absorbs moisture........rice grain...dunno

I don't think rice absorb any significant amount of moisture.

They add rice to salt shaker to increase the shaking effect and to break up salt clumps. I don't think it's for moisture absorption.
Why don't you try yourself to put a salt in a salt bottle without rice, and see what happen in few days.

Regards,
Arto.

Come on guys... be sensible lah.
$5 can get you one big bottle of silica gel, that can probably last you a lifetime if you use it properly. Why bother with all these dubious methods?
Because blue silica gel contain cobalt chloride which is carcinogen?

Dry cab is the best!

Regards,
Arto.

Why don't you try yourself to put a salt in a salt bottle without rice, and see what happen in few days.

Regards,
Arto.

I tried... both with or without rice in Singapore's humid weather salt will cake in no time if you don't shake it... why not you try it too. (Get those cheap 20c per pack kind... those don't have anti-caking agents.)

With the rice in the shaker, the rice helps to disperse the salt.

I would not dispute that rice may absorb some moisture. I am saying that it is not significant.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.