Using Point n Shoot Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi All:

May I know are there any links/books that teach people how to use a compact Point n Shoot to capture good photos?

I tried searching but to no avail. Thanks for the help.

Try making a trip to the library, that's a good place to get some info from books or that's where I gotten mine.

castor said:
Hi All:

May I know are there any links/books that teach people how to use a compact Point n Shoot to capture good photos?

I tried searching but to no avail. Thanks for the help.

I doubt there is such a book available.
Point N Shoots come in many different froms; from the really basic ones that does not allow the snapper to make any adjustments to the really agile and function-filled ones that are able to perform almost as well as an SLR.

Why don't you share what you have and what you hope to achieve with it? I believe there are many bros here who are happy to lend a hand.

THe best way to learn with a digital point and shoot (with no manual control) is to just play around so you know how it feels. How long it takes to AF lock.. how does it select the af point.. it took me 6 months of playing with my compact to get agood feel for it (maybe because i didnt shoot that much)

If you're shooting digital compact PNS camera, you just gotta shoot more more more and play around with yr camera to know inside out of yr equipment, very well at yr own finger tips. You may be just a photography hobbyist or someone who likes to take snap/candid shots but it pays off well to know and understand what yr camera can or cannot do.

A little tip here on focusing with a compact digital camera. Do not focus using the large LCD screen as that doesn't help to take sharp images due to our human natural hand-shakes. Always view thru the viewfinder and compose yr shots. Use the breathing technique to take yr shots i.e. hold yr camera firmly and press against yr face. Inhale and hold still, then press the shutter release button.

If you're using film compact PNS camera, the same breathing technique applys. Not to forget the minimum focal length. Some cameras have 28mm fixed wide lens or mostly commonly 35mm fixed lens with fixed aperture of f/8 or f/11. If I remember correctly, the minimum focal length is 1 meter. Any closer to yr subjects yr images get out of focus.

Hope my 2-cents info helps. Have fun shooting! Happy CNY! :D

Look for this book:

Digital Photography Hacks - 100 Industrial Strength Tips & Tools by Derrick Story.

Available at the library. It has lots of tips for P&S users, esp. how to overcome the limitations of P&S camera.

I'm sure you'll find it useful... you can thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.