Using Manual Lens on DSLRs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

May I know which are the Nikon DSLRs that will work with Nikkor MF lenses...have a bunch of primes for the FM2. Metering is a must...CW or spot is fine. TIA

Vince

My question is how do you focus w/o a split prism? I tried it out on a D50; while I can still guess the approximate speed and fstop, I simply can't seem to get it sharp enough.

Is there a special technique or do I need to just rely on my eye to judge?

mmm. maybe its to do with the magnification on the D50? I manual focus alright on the D200. Pics are sharp enough for me to enlarge too.

Heh. I would like to have split prism with grid lines. I wear spectacles, so it's a little difficult to judge if the horizon was level when I can't see right to edge of the VF. Sigh. Unfortunately it seems to be an either/or thing. So I stuck with the split prism in my FM3a.

I guess you need to do focus bracketing if you're not getting the results you want on the dSLR. But heh. Digital is free. So bracket as many as you need. I'm sure there will be at least one shot that is sharp enough for you.

On a side note, junk the idea of looking at preview screens. They will lie to you each and everytime.

Hi,

May I know which are the Nikon DSLRs that will work with Nikkor MF lenses...have a bunch of primes for the FM2. Metering is a must...CW or spot is fine. TIA

Vince
D200, D2 series... Not too sure about the D1 series...

A few questions; where do you buy split prisms from, how do you attach it, and does spot metering/AF, etc, still work?

Just something extra here you might want to check

There is a diopter adjusting switch. Make sure it is adjusted correctly to yourself before you MF.

I use manual lens most of the time with my D200.
It needs alot of practice. :)
Go and shoot all you can, and soon you'll get it!

I still have problems, but hey! Your hard work WILL pay off! ;)

Oh thanks...so the higher end Nikon DSLRs do provide metering and focusing support for the MF (AI, AIS) Nikkors. Out of interest, does the D50, D70 or D100 provide stop down metering function for MF Nikkors at all?

Vince

D200, D2 series... Not too sure about the D1 series...

Hahaa... I agree with you, the occassional 'sharp' shot I get with a MF lens is worth much more to me than the dozens of tack sharps pics with any modern AF lenses. Don't know why I feel this way though, could be something wrong with me :confused:

I use manual lens most of the time with my D200.
It needs alot of practice. :)
Go and shoot all you can, and soon you'll get it!

I still have problems, but hey! Your hard work WILL pay off! ;)

Culés;3015257 said:
Hahaa... I agree with you, the occassional 'sharp' shot I get with a MF lens is worth much more to me than the dozens of tack sharps pics with any modern AF lenses. Don't know why I feel this way though, could be something wrong with me :confused:

I think our problem has something to do with the obsession with
these mechanical stuff. ;)

Once we get that correct shot and am happy with it, can smile can
liao. hahahah :) all else dun matter .....;)

Thought of getting one for my D80...how do you handle your setting if you are using manual and what are the thing to remember..

Culés;3015257 said:

A few questions; where do you buy split prisms from, how do you attach it, and does spot metering/AF, etc, still work?

You can try Katz Eye Optics. They make focusing screens for DSLRs. Spot metering will not be accurate if the maximum aperture of the lens is slower than f/4 (information from the website), otherwise is accurate to +/- 1/3 stop.
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Oh thanks...so the higher end Nikon DSLRs do provide metering and focusing support for the MF (AI, AIS) Nikkors. Out of interest, does the D50, D70 or D100 provide stop down metering function for MF Nikkors at all?

Vince

No.. unfortunately not at all.. :(

I think our problem has something to do with the obsession with
these mechanical stuff. ;)

Once we get that correct shot and am happy with it, can smile can
liao. hahahah :) all else dun matter .....;)

Either obsession or psychologically old school, me thinks a manual focus (if you get it right) will always be shaper than an AF lens of the same range. :bsmilie:

Either obsession or psychologically old school, me thinks a manual focus (if you get it right) will always be shaper than an AF lens of the same range. :bsmilie:

The chances of our eyes getting it right compared to the AF sensor getting it right is very small now. For film it's fine, but for digital where it's so easy to pixel peep... that's a different story.. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.