Using ISO400 indoors - Nt gd...oR was it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanGetz

Mar 29, 2005
stangetz82.multiply.com
Hi guys, recently I had my company D&D and was there with my FZ5 to capture some moments....it was a 70s theme thus no round tables ard, we were all on benches! there is a stage and the BIG BOSSES were sitting bout 8-10meters radius from the stage.

From where I was standing, behind the bosses 8-10meter, I TRIED using ISO400, EV+2, Programe mode(tried manual, but time to find the correct exposure made me miss some performance) and blasted my flash to max(i know the range still cant reach), I captured a majority of blurry shots. Type of performance were mostly dance and songs.

Question is, when using high iso, will shutter speed be reduced thus causing blurry pictures when capturing movements in the performance? if nt, how should i manage the settings to get decent shots? Only when shots which i tried to capture when the subjects are fairly still came out ok.

Also, juz to check, if mainly by using ISO400, no flash, will i capture blur shots when taking fast dance segments? btw, iso400 is nt that noisy as i tot after all!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

StanGetz said:
Hi guys, recently I had my company D&D and was there with my FZ5 to capture some moments....it was a 70s theme thus no round tables ard, we were all on benches! there is a stage and the BIG BOSSES were sitting bout 8-10meters radius from the stage.

From where I was standing, behind the bosses 8-10meter, I TRIED using ISO400, EV+2, Programe mode(tried manual, but time to find the correct exposure made me miss some performance) and blasted my flash to max(i know the range still cant reach), I captured a majority of blurry shots. Type of performance were mostly dance and songs.

Question is, when using high iso, will shutter speed be reduced thus causing blurry pictures when capturing movements in the performance? if nt, how should i manage the settings to get decent shots? Only when shots which i tried to capture when the subjects are fairly still came out ok.

Also, juz to check, if mainly by using ISO400, no flash, will i capture blur shots when taking fast dance segments? btw, iso400 is nt that noisy as i tot after all!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

You may want to check your setting for those photos, besides ISO400.

What was the speed, as well as the f-stop used??

If the f-stop is high (for example, f/8), your camera will need to adjust the shutter speed to slower so that the right exposure can be achieved.

For such function, since most of the P&S cameras have shutter lag, my advice is to switch to S-mode (Shutter priority), and set the shutter speed to at least 1/250, this way, you will garentee to have freeze image (but I dare not garentee the right exposure, you need to check when you take the photos)...

If you are using the built-in flash, 8-10m will be too far to reach.
Under such low lighting condition, a flash is a must.
Best is to use a more powerful slaveflash to assist.

Check your shutter speed before you shoot. Most likely it is too slow to capture moving object.

Anything below 1/80s to capture moving object will most probably be blur. Your object distance, and the speed it is moving at will affect how fast a shutter speed you need. Sometimes, this blurness could be an advantage, as it helps to show movement in a shot. :bsmilie:

By increasing the ISO, you increase the sensitivity of the CCD to light.
That means to get the same exposure you can now increase the shutterspeed, with the same aperture.
Increasing ISO will not cause your picture to be blur, but it will increase the noise.

dun use EV+2. This DOES NOT increase sensivity or anything else. It would only prompt the cam to extent shutter speed if ur aperture and iso are maxed out, hence it will be harder for u to get clear pics.

Try without the ev compensation. If still cannot, then got to use flash gun liao...

+2EV could actually cause ur shutter speed to be 4 times slower and hence result in blur pics. maybe, u'll want to share the settings of ur pics (use an EXIF editor to see the aperture and shutter speed).

8-10m is probably too far for built-in flash to work, u'll need an external one or move closer to the subject.

ISO 400 and +2EV? You might as well use ISO 200.

I see....i dun have a exif viewer....but from what i see in picasa.....it shows 1/(2digit number) i guess the P-mode caused me, f-stop was 3.3 most of the time(using some zoom)....should have used Shutter Piority instead.....yes i understand the need of a slave flash....may need to purchase one soon....awaiting bonus time...haha!

anywya, it cleared my doublts that high iso dun blur shot....cos i mistook if to use higher iso, we muz compensate with slower shutter speed/ aperature.....ita all bout the balance....will try again.

I wun be posting anyshots...cos lots of faces there, dun wish to annoy anyone whom dun want it to be posted....anyway thanks alot guys!

ur max settings will be flash, iso400, and aperture at f2.8.... and a shutter speed that can capture the object and ur hands can handle....

the other 2 options are getting a slave flash or do post editing to the photos to increase the exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.