Using Backdrop stand as Lightstand

saberlancer

Jan 26, 2002
Singapore
What do you guys think?

I'm looking at getting heavier lightstands for use. About 6kg load.

A manfrotto 1004/1005 cost abt $170, while a pair of backdrop stands which feels rather steady is only about $100... but of course no load info on backdrop stand.

IS this commonly done by many or a really bad idea?..thx
Anyone was similar experience?

Last edited:
Those with no-load info are the cheap kind, and should not be used to hold weight of our expensive equipment.

I ever bought a set of backdrop stand with bar at only $120.00. These are good if you move around (mobile). But I never try mounting them with my expensive equipment, cos I don't think the cost of those stands equate to my equipment cost.

I saw the manfrotto stand, very durable. With load info as per mentioned, it is meant even to sustain weight +/- around 1 kg more? But of course don't try unless you are sure.

Those with no-load info are the cheap kind, and should not be used to hold weight of our expensive equipment.

I ever bought a set of backdrop stand with bar at only $120.00. These are good if you move around (mobile). But I never try mounting them with my expensive equipment, cos I don't think the cost of those stands equate to my equipment cost.

I saw the manfrotto stand, very durable. With load info as per mentioned, it is meant even to sustain weight +/- around 1 kg more? But of course don't try unless you are sure.

Those china made backdrop stand set uses 2 heavyduty aircushion light stands as the main supports, if i am not wrong. Perfectly capanle of holding lights well.

Yes I've used x2 backdrop stands for lightstand use. Only $100 for a pair makes gd value.

Depends on how you use. Straight forward usage the floor standing, ok.