Using a lens hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ergoh

Jul 31, 2005
Singapore
I know some of you are using the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens.

I like to know if any of you use the lens hood for this lens? According to the manuel, the hood model is ES-62+ADP. Is it useful? Since its a screw in type of lens hood, will I be able to use the 52mm lens cap to cover the lens when not in use?

My 2nd question, how do you know if you need a lens hood. My understanding, a lens hood help to cover the glare into the lens while taking picture.

Anyone care to share your knowledge?

the 50mm front element is buried deep from the front filter, i dun use the hood at all for this lens. Before buying, why not go and shoot with it and see if you have unwanted flare in your pictures, if not, do not waste your money.

in fact nowadys i only use the hoods for my wide angle zooms, other lenses do not benifit from using hoods, makes my work very clumsy when i want to change lenses.

i used to own this lens with the hood. the lens hood isn't exactly screw in, but rather clip on. The adapter is screwed onto the lens itself (the place where u screw in your filter), and the filter/lens cap mounted on the adapter.

Thanks guys...

do you actually get a UV filter for the lens, in a way to protect the actual lens from dust getting in?

Although some good brand like Hoya claimed to have better coating. will I get glare for using filter on this lens?

Personally, i dont think you really need a hood for the 50 as it is so deeply recessed... however if you are paranoid about damaging the lens, then get one... however you do realise that the 50 is a pretty cheap lens and personally, i think i rather go without it.

(based on the same reasoning, i never bought a UV filter for my 50 while i had it. If you are going to put a cheap non multicoated filter on the 50, you are asking for flaring trouble. My friend was experiencing all sorts of flares esp at big apertures and I told him to get his cheap tiffen filter off and voila, probelm solved.)

a good UV filter helps and also protect the lens...a better investment than the hood at times.

the 50 prime is a small lens and you can actually use your hand to block the flare. shape your hand like you would when shading your eyes, and just look into your viewfinder. if you see flare, then use your hand as a shade for that shot. Just position your hand until the flare is reduced or eliminated. if you can't achieve this, move till the flare isn't in the middle of the picture crossing some important part of your composition. then edit it out later?

as for the filter, i use a cheap hoya HMC filter for my 50 f1.4, but if i was really serious about the shot i would still take it off.

i do have a hood for the 50f1.4, but only because it's easier to fit than the 50f1.8 hood, and it might save the lens if i one day drop it (touch wood).

even for lenses with hoods, if you're shooting at an awkward angle at a light source, hood or no hood you will get flare. Either change your position relative to the subject and light, or control the lighting, or if you can't help it, sometimes just LL. :(

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge..

Hi,

It's not only flaring that we are afriad of. Usually photos shot with a hood on the lens will have better contrast and saturation. Having a filter in front of the 50mm actually degrades the photo if shot in bright sunlight. The stray light can come parallel to the filter if there is no hood. So the deep recess front element is redundant in this case. Always put a hood on. On a tele lens it is even more important as the long lenses usually are quite soft. That is why the hood are really long and narrow.

Belle&Sebastain said:
the 50mm front element is buried deep from the front filter, i dun use the hood at all for this lens. Before buying, why not go and shoot with it and see if you have unwanted flare in your pictures, if not, do not waste your money.
Good advice. I don't use a filter on my 50mm. Its difficult to scratch the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.