Usage of grey card

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfhuang

Jan 21, 2002
sfhuang.clubsnap.org
As I understand it, the grey side is used for metering (exposure) and the white side is used for setting custom white-balance (WB).

Why do some sites advocate using the grey side for calibrating custom WB? Which side should I use for setting custom WB? Or both are the same (since grey is a darker shade of white)?

thanks ...
sfhuang

If you're using Capture One software, you would be using the grey side for grey balancing as there's no WB available on it.

Originally posted by canturn
If you're using Capture One software, you would be using the grey side for grey balancing as there's no WB available on it.

I'm not using this software. My question relates more to setting custom WB on the DSLR.

Originally posted by ckiang
Some say it's better to use a grey card for custom WB.

Regards
CK

Yah, that's what I read from most sites, but they don't explain why.

Originally posted by sfhuang
Yah, that's what I read from most sites, but they don't explain why.

Probably has to do with the grey card being more neutral. Not all white paper/cards are white (some might have some cast). Also if you happen to overexpose white when doing CWB, you might have problems too.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Probably has to do with the grey card being more neutral. Not all white paper/cards are white (some might have some cast). Also if you happen to overexpose white when doing CWB, you might have problems too.

Regards
CK

thanks CK.

Status
Not open for further replies.