Urgent: store location for Pentax in Boston or San Jose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengh

May 6, 2007
Florida
I know this is a long shot, but I need some help from fellow Pentaxians who might be familiar with Boston and/or San Jose.

I'm in Boston now for work, and to cut long story short, my K100D crashed on the pavement and I believe it is beyond economical repair. After some consideration, I think getting the K-m (K2000 in US) might be the best option now. I don't want to get the K20D as I'm still eagerly waiting for the K30D, which hopefully isn't that far away. The K-m might also be a good spare body for my wife to use when one day she picks up the courage to tackle photography with a DSLR.

I will still be in Boston for another day, then I'll be going to San Jose for almost a week. Does anyone know where I can go to buy a K-m, hopefully in Boston tomorrow? The snowscape is just so nice, I was really hoping to take some on this trip. Otherwise buying in San Jose is also good since K-m won't be available easily in Singapore. So please, if anyone knows specifically (telling me to just look for a Best Buy in the city may not be very useful, 'cos I just went to one branch and they don't have Pentax) where in these two cities I can find Pentax DSLRs, point me in the right direction can?

I will consider buying from online too if there really aren't shops easily within my reach. But that would mean no chance to take any pictures this trip.

That's only part one... I cannot check if my 16-50mm survived undamaged till I have a body to take some test shots with. It looks fine and the impact was all received on the corner of the K100D furthest from the lens, but this sort of thing better not say so soon...

Sorry to hear of your camera mishap.
With the very low price for a K20D in the US, I'd advise you consider the K20D. The K2000 is cheaper but may not be widely available everywhere.

You can actually buy from an online retailer and get them to send it to even your hotel room, which my relative did. Of course you need to make arrangements with the hotel but it is doable. You won't be able to try before you buy but in US got return policy and buying online may be a little cheaper than a brick and mortar store.

There are a few Ritz camera stores in Boston. But you can check here:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/where-to-buy/

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I also had a similar experience. That is why I always carry a good PnS as backup.

The K100D shell is quite tough actually. Do you mean it had cracked up?
I once dropped my K100D on a ceramic floor in Hong Kong. The camera showed no sign of any dent but refused to power up. I was so disappointed until discovered while double checking that the battery cover was not secured properly. Took out the batteries, reinserted and walla, it sprang to life, none the worse.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I'll go to one of the retailers nearby and get a second opinion on it, whether a repair is even worth considering.

Yah, the case cracked at the bottom, as it landed right on its rear corner where the battery cover is. That area cracked and the cover came apart. I managed to put things back with a screw driver to remove the bottom cover, but I think some wires or electrical component must have come loose. There's more to the damage, but hard to describe here.

It happened just as I was reaching for it slung over my shoulder. Maybe I was still jetlagged, or I'm not use to my coat. I've always found this carrying method to be very secure for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.