URGENT HELP ON LENS

drpessimist

Jan 6, 2014
Singapore
HI,

Urgently need help on a replacement lens before this Sunday as i fly off for my trip of UK.

I currently have a Canon 70D, which i always use with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4.

But i am looking for a more versatile lens that can zoom. I currently have the canon 18-135mm kit lens, but i dislike the quality of the image that comes from it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement lens that has similar qualities? (zoom wise)

I am taking a serious look at the Sigma 17-70mm C f2.8-4.

My budget is about $700max.

Please give me some suggestions asap..

Cheers.

Last edited:
What is it that you dislike about the 18-135? There aren't many options in this focal length range. But for shorter focal length ones, it will be those 17-50s from Tamron or Sigma.

Personally, I don't quite like the idea of getting a new lens just for a trip (regardless of location).

Its going to be kept as a replacement from now on. As in i want it before the trip because i do not like using the 18-135. Yes i know its hard to get one in that zoom rage, hence i was looking around at the 17-70 sigma. i already have a 50mm prime.

for that budget, it is either the sigma 17-70 C or the sigma/tamron 17-50.

you have to weigh in what you need more, constant aperture(17-50) or longer reach(17-70).
personally, i went with the 17-70 because i wanted the reach and i am happy with the bokeh on it.

however, if you are only into the image quality and no need for the extra 51-70mm reach then maybe you will be happier with the 17-50?
do go down to the shops to try it out before making a decision.

cheers!

With a budget of $700 you could also check for second hand copies of 24-105 or 15-85. Aperture is smaller than f/2.8, but range is better.
Have a looknat the 18-135 with STM focus motor. All STM lenses so far got very good reviews. Much better than earlier versions sold as kit lenses. Don't dismiss it too quickly.

A 2nd hand tamron 17-50 bout $300 & add
A brand new efs 10-18 at $35X, still got bout $50 left,
U gotta keep really quality images and wide angles still within budget.

With a budget of $700 you could also check for second hand copies of 24-105 or 15-85. Aperture is smaller than f/2.8, but range is better.
Have a looknat the 18-135 with STM focus motor. All STM lenses so far got very good reviews. Much better than earlier versions sold as kit lenses. Don't dismiss it too quickly.

I can't be sure, but I think TS' 18-135 is already the STM one. IIRC, 70D kit lens is the STM one?

@TS: if you are not satisfied with the image quality of the 18-135 STM, I think you'll find it very hard to find something that performs better than it. I've used my friend's one for a school event and it's really very good. Reviews of the 18-135 STM are also very positive. If yours is the non-STM one, then it could be a different story.

Do you need a replacement for the wide or telephoto end of the 18-135mm?

If it is the wide end, Sigma 17-50mm OS.

If the telephoto end, Canon 55-250mm IS.

I can't be sure, but I think TS' 18-135 is already the STM one. IIRC, 70D kit lens is the STM one?
In that case it's back to the question what exactly TS does not like about the images. For focus problems a simple focus test can help, 70D offers AF micro adjustment to adjust for minor deviations.

HI,

Urgently need help on a replacement lens before this Sunday as i fly off for my trip of UK.

I currently have a Canon 70D, which i always use with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4.

But i am looking for a more versatile lens that can zoom. I currently have the canon 18-135mm kit lens, but i dislike the quality of the image that comes from it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement lens that has similar qualities? (zoom wise)

I am taking a serious look at the Sigma 17-70mm C f2.8-4.

My budget is about $700max.

Please give me some suggestions asap..

Cheers.

For the Sigma 17-70mm... I don't think you can get much upgrade or at all from the 18-135mm... plus you lose range. I do have a 17-70mm, it is not exceptionally sharp, just okay in most cases. I would recommend Tamron 17-50mm VC or non-VC (although some say the non-VC to be sharper but I find VC pretty effective and useful). I would only recommend the 17-70mm as a step up from the 18-55mm for people who needed more range.

Am using sigma 18-35, would say it's very much recommended, but looking at the budget,
a new efs 10-18 + a resale tamron 17-50 would fit nicely,
Good General lens from the f2.8,
Good wide lens for nite market/tight places & land scape & a new taste of a new concept:)

My issue with getting another lens that maxeds at 50mm,. is i alrewady have a 50mm prime. but i feel at times its not zoom enough yet also at times too long.

Hence i wanted soemthing that can go both ways. Yes i thought about the Sigma 17-50mm, but idk im really stuck at the moment.

My suggestion is to stick with your 18-135 STM. You mentioned yourself that you find 50mm too restrictive (sometimes too long, sometimes not long enough). Alternative zoom lenses don't get around these restrictions (they offer less range than 18-135). They may be sharper, but suffer in terms of flexibility.

Quick suggestion for you as I use the 70D with 18-135 STM on trips & locally. This lens has a good zoom range for travel and is versatile. As for image quality, the lens is sharp from 24mm to 125-130mm. 24-35mm is particularly good. Aperture at f/3.5 is not so good. Use 4.0 to 11 instead. 5.6 to 8.0 is very good. Take in RAW and tweak in Canon's DPP. Often you may need to bring brightness down to -0.33 or -0.67 for best results, and tweak the sharpness to about 6. It's a good travel lens but you must know how to find its "sweet spots" to get good photos out of it. If u fit a circular polarizer, you can get very sharp & nice photos too. I've used both the STM & earlier non-STM versions. Both are good, especially for travels.

Last edited:
FYI, when we are out to shoot something, especially travelling, we can't shoot anything and everything we like or the way we like, so we have to focus on what we can do instead of we can't do.
and most importantly, when there is limitation, that is where creativity is born.

for most people, changing a lens is so much easier than changing their mindset.
so just recommend a lens to TS and be done with it.

Last edited: