Upwards

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Took this at SBG over the weekends. Was trying out Sony DSC 707 IR. I must say its alot easier than doing digital IR with my Canon G2, at least the exposure time is much shorter. I had to place a CP filter to decrease the contrast, the sky was blown in the 1st attempt hence the vignetting at the corners.

I saw this lone tall tree by the swan lake, waited for some visitor to go near the tree to show the scale of things.

The original image is abit flat, hence contrast was increased.

Upwards
DSC00246.jpg

Is the contrast enough? Should it be increase further?

If so, would general increase of contrast for the whole image or burning portion of the image would be a better choice?

You don't want to lose the highlights so selective contrast adjustments should be made on the greyish areas of the main tree.
I would use a mask and paint in contrast where required, just the blacks.

You don't want to lose the highlights so selective contrast adjustments should be made on the greyish areas of the main tree.
I would use a mask and paint in contrast where required, just the blacks.

i m sorry, i not very good in editing. most of the time i use auto level, brightness & contrast, highlight & shadow, curve or some burning and dodging.

when u say "paint in contrast, just the blacks", do u mean use black color to paint?

No problem, I'll guide you step by step.

1. Make a duplicate layer
2. Hide the top layer
3. Select bottom layer, go to image->adjustment->selective colour->Colors (choose Blacks)->increse Black by 20-30% ->OK
4. Show & select top layer, go to layer->layer mask-> reveal all
5. Select Brush-> hardness ~15%, mode normal, Opacity ~40%, flow 100%
6. Set foreground colour as black, and paint into the layer mask slowly
7. Go over the areas once to apply the 40%, then again for 80% if required, etc. or if you're confident set Opacity at 100% instead, brush hardness will ensure feathering.

You can use this method for any other effects as well, like contrast or even filter effects. Have fun!