Upgrading from Point to shoot and considering E-PL6

Andy Chong

Sep 19, 2014
Thailand
Hi Guys,

I'm noobie in photography, only ever use point and shot before.

I am considering getting an Olympus E-PL6 and am wondering any E-PL6 user can give me some advise and review of the camera.

Main thing to consider for me:

1) price around S$600-700.
2) Easy to use yet can get good quality photo.
3) Wanted to start and learn photography so I want a camera that I can slowly growth with and don't need to upgrade the body in another few years time.

(I will use the camera mostly on holidays to capture the places of interest and the best moment I am with my family)

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi Andy ,

Welcome :) The EPL6 is a very good starting choice (I just gave one to my bro as a newborn gift together with an Olympus 25/1.8 and he is really in a happily ever after situation now )

The EPL6 uses the EM5 sensor and and MFT mount which gives u access to all the lenses utilizing the MFT mount, which currently has more than enough lenses to cover your needs at very value for money vs performances and portability wise too. The camera is also worth for money in that it comes with in body stabilization.

I won't go into too much details unless u have more specific questions but i will invite u to visit the Microfourthirds forum instead as u will be them able to look at the images the camera mount is capable of and at the same time chat with the like minded people there for more learning.

:)

Hi Guys,

I'm noobie in photography, only ever use point and shot before.

I am considering getting an Olympus E-PL6 and am wondering any E-PL6 user can give me some advise and review of the camera.

Main thing to consider for me:

3) Wanted to start and learn photography so I want a camera that I can slowly growth with and don't need to upgrade the body in another few years time.

(I will use the camera mostly on holidays to capture the places of interest and the best moment I am with my family)

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Yes, the EPL6 is around this price with kit lens (14-42mm) and it is a great value nowadays. I believe EPL6 uses the same sensor as the much more expensive EM5.

Not able to provide much information here. To some people with an eyes for photography, it is easy for them to get great photos... to others, even with the highest class or grade camera, they can only come up with sharp and contrasty craps (not saying about you). If it is just sharpness and image quality you are looking at. The EPL6 can do the job with no problem at all.

The EPL6 will definitely not fail you in this area, however, whether you will outgrow this camera or not, depends entirely on yourself. The good thing about EPL6 is that it is a m4/3 mount camera and there are heaps of lenses (some are pro-lenses) out in the market (both from Panasonic and Olympus) and you can upgrade the lenses easily as and when you find that your kit lenses had limitations.

Hope it help.

Thanks Keith and Rhino for the advice.

I am not going to upgrade the lenses any time soon but great to heard that there are many choice in the market.

My friend is going to Japan next month so I am asking her to help me get the camera. So I have a few more weeks to consider and do more research on the E-PL6.

One thing I need advice is there are 2 different kit lens but with a big different in prices.

E-PL6 with M.zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-56 EZ + 40-150mm (cost S$732 in Japan)

E-PL with M.zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R +40-150mm (cost S575 in Japan)

Why is the big different?

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
One of the main difference was size. The M.zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ is very, very compact, almost like a pancake lens. The M.zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R is larger. I don't have the EZ, but have used the 14-42mm II R quite extensively before. It is not lightning quick in AF, but speed is still quite respectable (in my opinion). Image quality is okay, of course you don't expect it to be in the same class as the 12-40mm f2.8.

From reviews, I noticed that the EZ lens is faster. I would imagine that both lenses shared about the same image quality though in terms of sharpness, contrast, etc. If you want your camera to be smaller, look for EZ. If not, just get the II R and save the money for other accessories like a good tripod or external flash.

Thanks Rhino, I think it will be better to safe the money and get a dry box and triport.