"Upgrade" my A850 to the new A77?

ylloh

Jun 25, 2004
Hi guys,

I have a tough decision to make here. I find my a850 very heavy, esp when used with heavy lens like 24-70mm,
What do you think if I "upgrade" it to the new A77 with 16-50mm? I'm sure it will be much lighter, but what about
the IQ? Do you think is it worth to upgrade? Or should I stick with my A850?

ylloh said:
Hi guys,

I have a tough decision to make here. I find my a850 very heavy, esp when used with heavy lens like 24-70mm,
What do you think if I "upgrade" it to the new A77 with 16-50mm? I'm sure it will be much lighter, but what about
the IQ? Do you think is it worth to upgrade? Or should I stick with my A850?

Bro Rashkae should be the best person to advise.

I had the A850 before as well.

What i can say if you normally shoot jpegs most of the time and dun need to view a picture at 100% of 24mp, i would say A77 is good, esp the AF and bursting speed is faster. Now i just shoot at 12mp as its enough for me.

As you mentioned, its smaller and lighter in weight. If u need video and tilting screen an liveview, these are a few more advantage of A77.

In terms of iso, for jpegs, A77 is cleaner unless raw then A850 will have advantage.

my opinion: I dun think weight is the problem. I will still use mine a850, just less lens and VG out to shoot.
However A77 technology is very attractive to get everyone to switch over.

To be honest, the weight saving is not significant.

I would still keep the 24-70 and a850 rather then the upgrade as far as weight goes.

In terms of image quality, there isn't a huge different between the two but the a850 has slight advantage on the depth of the image.

If u need the higher fps, a77 is the way to go but EVF is interesting if you shoot a lot in manual mode.

Regards,

Hart

Get both. See which 1 is better for u and then see which to sell off. Rather than give up for it's FF power, in the end, you need it, too late :p

Anyway, I carry my A850 with 4 lenses, a video cam, a netbook to USA. With extra battery and flash too. I also just dont bother about the weight. 10kg :eek:, i weight it at the airport, heh heh! ;p

Last edited:
I think A77 will compliment more to your FF body.

Similar to my case, I have the D700 and D90 (but sold D90 and upgrade to D7k), when i hit the zoo or bird park, i will have the full frame with wide angle and crop body with 70-200 or whatever tele to take advantage of the crop. Now i have the 5n which made me switch between the use of nikon bodies, when i want to travel lighter, i will carry the 5n (wide angle) and d7k with a tele.

Last edited: