Upgrade my 18-55mm kit lens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
restaurants or indoor events (without flash)

You might find that 2.8 may not even be enough for many situations like the ones you mentioned above.

You might want to look at fast primes if you're leaning towards available light photography. One of the reasons which pushed me to using primes exclusively now... (my wife appropriated my 17-55/2.8 as her own now :bsmilie: citing reasons of underusage by me)

(below I shan't quote the older non-AF lenses, although there are some with definitely wider apertures)

Cheap(er) alternatives would be like the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8
Other more expensive alternatives include... 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4 105/2 135/2

You might find that 2.8 may not even be enough for many situations like the ones you mentioned above.

You might want to look at fast primes if you're leaning towards available light photography. One of the reasons which pushed me to using primes exclusively now... (my wife appropriated my 17-55/2.8 as her own now :bsmilie: citing reasons of underusage by me)

(below I shan't quote the older non-AF lenses, although there are some with definitely wider apertures)

Cheap(er) alternatives would be like the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8
Other more expensive alternatives include... 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4 105/2 135/2

I have a 50/1.8... nice affordable prime lens indeed, but a bit too narrow. Nikkor 35/2, Sigma 30/1.4 or 20/1.8 would be even nicer for group shots with available light. For a more convenient and affordable solution, I guess a good f2.8 standard zoom coupled with the diffused built-in flash should tackle most of the common 'restaurant' situations with pleasing results ;p

Actually, when you are shooting indoors, are you mostly shooting where flash is not allowed? If you aren't, then actually I'd recommend going for a SB-600 and working it. With flash, you can do lots of stuff that you might otherwise be limited because of lack of available light.

Status
Not open for further replies.